#171555  by Jturbide

So I am running an SMS CTP JG into the fx return of a Quilter Interblock 45 into a vintage hiwatt 4x12 with eminence wizards and governors in it. I know, the cab and speakers are not ideal at all for Jerry tones but I might get a smaller more appropriate cab for this purpose some time.

Meanwhile I was wondering what power amp to get to replace the interblock. As anyone compared it with other power amps and hear a difference? Does the interblock have the same power section than bigger Quilter amps like a steelaire, aviator or tone block?

Right away, I am not spending $2-3k on a McIntosh. I was interested in mesa power amps since I loved my mark iib and mark iii but it seems like people are asking like $2k for them so... There is mosvalve too but seems quite rare.

Are there newer, or more available power amps that sounds as good? Thinking about ISP stealth, palmer macht 402, seymour powerstage, crown, samson servo, etc. Or do I need to get a more expensive mesa, koch, ktr, fryette...? I can probably spend close to $1k if I sell (or trade for) my Hilbish beta preamp but something around $4-500 that sounds great would be nice too because over that, might as well find an actual tube amp and use its fx loop. Also, a rackmountable unit would be great since I have space in my little rack. It is almost impossible to use youtube power amps demos, it's basically only metalheads doing djent/chug stuff...
Last edited by Jturbide on Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #171556  by Jon S.

You can cop a MC50 for way less than $2K (indeed, I recently sold mine, a prime specimen with guitarist friendly mods and a custom fitted travel case, for way below $2K).

I'm currently running my SMS into a Carvin DCM200L 1U power amp. A lot of people dig this combination. They're out of production but available used now and then.

The Rocktron Velocity power amps have their fans, too (I also used to own the Velocity 300 but sold it because it was heavy as compared to the DCM200L).
Jturbide, PaulJay liked this
 #171557  by lbpesq

+1 on the Carvin DCM200L. A great little power amp that only weighs 4 lbs.! I have mine paired with an Alembic F-2B preamp. You may have to check ebay, reverb, etc. often and it may take awhile, but they do turn up every now and then.

As for Quilter, they have several options that put out more power than the Interblock, which is rated at 33 watts into 8 ohms. I have a 101 Mini Reverb that’s 50 watts and a Micro Pro 200 that’s 100 watts. The Tone Block 202 and the Overdrive 202 both put out 200 watts. If I were looking for a new power amp, I would stick with a Class D amp. My back insists that my days of lugging around a Mesa 50/50 are long gone!

Bill, tgo
Jturbide liked this
 #171558  by Jturbide

Thanks to both of you!

I'll look around for a rocktron or carvin.
Regarding the interblock. I don't really need more power (althought I'm not against it), I was asking more about the quality of sound. In terms of sound (and not power), would a bigger quilter or a carvin, rocktron... sound "better" than the interblock power section? Or would the sound quality be basically the same?
 #171559  by NeilG1

I have a Mosvalve that I love. Really great sound, and if you can find one, they are usually really cheap. 2u I believe, and I think 160W in mono.
I have a friend that loves his Seymour Duncan PowerStage, but I don't have any personal experience with it.
Jturbide liked this
 #171560  by Gr8fulCadi

Keep an eye out for the Tube Works MosValve 1160 also. Essentially the same exact power amp as the MosValve mv-962 just made under new ownership I believe. I owned one and a mc250/mc2100 and they sounded surprisingly close.
Jturbide liked this
 #171564  by Jturbide

mkaufman wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:11 pm Be quick!

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Carvi ... =4SOS0DRBA

ace
I am in Canada... :(

I sent an offer on a rocktron velocity on reverb. If I don't get it I'll keepvmy eyes open for a Mosvalve (althought I saw old comments of Brad Sarno himself saying he does not like them much) or a carvin... Would these be considered better than a new crown xls?
 #171567  by NeilG1

The mosvalve 962 is awesome. Does a really good job of being a Twin power section. I play an SMS into mine and it sounds great. I think either this or a Carvin is a solid choice- see which one comes up first.
Where in Canada? I’m in Toronto, and a Mosvalve comes up on Kijiji every now and then I find.
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #171569  by Chocol8

I have a pair of old MosValves, but if I had to replace them I would look for something that is also NOT class D like so many small light and cheap amps these days. The Orange Pedal Baby is a current production and reasonably priced Class AB amp that I would consider.

Its hard to describe, but I think there is something different about the sound and "feel" of Class D amps vs a tube power section or a transformer based class AB like the MacIntosh amps.
strumminsix, Jturbide liked this
 #171570  by lbpesq

As I read about it, the Orange Pedal Baby is a preamp/power amp combo. In that regards, it appears to compete with Quilter and DV Mark as a complete mini amp, not with the power amps being discussed above. As such, I suspect one might find the relative lack of controls constraining. All it has is bass, treble, and volume. No gain, no midrange, no reverb, no presence, no effects loop, etc. It seems like it might be a good platform for FRFR rigs where all tone shaping is done with pedals or modelers.

Bill, tgo
 #171571  by Chocol8

lbpesq wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:24 pm As I read about it, the Orange Pedal Baby is a preamp/power amp combo. In that regards, it appears to compete with Quilter and DV Mark as a complete mini amp, not with the power amps being discussed above. As such, I suspect one might find the relative lack of controls constraining. All it has is bass, treble, and volume. No gain, no midrange, no reverb, no presence, no effects loop, etc. It seems like it might be a good platform for FRFR rigs where all tone shaping is done with pedals or modelers.

Bill, tgo
It is meant for the amp in a box pedals, but it will also work with a pre-amp in front, or as you suggest a modeler etc. It’s really no different than the SD power stage amps that offer some last stage EQ if you want it, or you can run flat. Similar even to the MosValve which has a presence knob which is really just a treble control.