#169756  by PurpleTrails

Never fooled around with a Flint, but a friend of mine has a Blue Sky, which sounds awesome. Looking at the website and photos the Blue Sky gives you a lot more options on the reverb side (three basic types of reverb, three mode options, and more tweaks available). That all adds up to what I believe would be a lot more capabilities to do big, ambient types of reverb. The Flint looks like its set is more the standard spring, plate, hall with some ability to tweak.

If I were to criticize the Blue Sky, the main things are that it might give you too many options, that it can sound a little too pristine...and that it is expensive. It's the best sounding reverb that I've personally used, but I think that it could be a better studio tool than used live.
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169763  by wpmartin1979

Lexicon and Digitech seem to be in the same parent company, so assuming they share technologies I would think that the Digitech reverb pedals would be really good.
Looking at the vintage Digiverb pedal, it has the same reverbs on it as my Lexicon unit. Assuming that the newer Polara is the same, these are probably great options.
Don’t know if you can capture the magic of the Lexicon verbs in pedal form, but all I know is that they are on another level. They have taken my tone to the next level for sure.
The Polara gets really good reviews, but I also see a lot come up for sale on reverb, so not sure what to make of that.
 #169764  by Jon S.

wpmartin1979 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:21 amThe Polara gets really good reviews, but I also see a lot come up for sale on reverb, so not sure what to make of that.
Probably not much. Nobody likes everything. Any pedal that's currently readily available is probably also showing up on Reverb and eBay regularly.
brbadg liked this
 #169765  by PurpleTrails

wpmartin1979 wrote:Lexicon and Digitech seem to be in the same parent company, so assuming they share technologies I would think that the Digitech reverb pedals would be really good.
Looking at the vintage Digiverb pedal, it has the same reverbs on it as my Lexicon unit. Assuming that the newer Polara is the same, these are probably great options.
Don’t know if you can capture the magic of the Lexicon verbs in pedal form, but all I know is that they are on another level. They have taken my tone to the next level for sure.
The Polara gets really good reviews, but I also see a lot come up for sale on reverb, so not sure what to make of that.

I have a Digitech Hardwire Supernatural on my board, which is basically an rv-7 that has more ambient presets. It sounds pretty good doing "big" reverb, and the plate setting is to die for. The spring is just okay.

It doesn't sound as good as the Strymon Blue Sky (I've A-B'd them), as it isn't quite as refined or get the same deeply musical depth of the Strymon. Think they stopped making them back in 2014 or 2015. I haven't heard a Polara.
Jon S., wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169771  by wpmartin1979

Hmmm interesting, the Spring in the Lexicon is awesome, so maybe it’s not the same as what’s in the Digitech , or maybe it’s all the parameter controls in the Lexicon that make it sound so good. Most reviews of the Polara say that the spring is good, though.
It sounds like the Strymon stuff is pretty much studio quality reverb in pedal form... sounds like the price of admission may be worth it. I actually like having the reverb/delays in the rack with the power amp (Lexicon + Carvin 200L) as it makes for a very light rack and frees up clutter in the board. Also you can use a two button non-latching foot switch to switch and bypass programs on the Lexicon.
 #169784  by PurpleTrails

The spring on my supernatural isn't bad, but not great. It's definitely usable. The plate is superlative.

The Bluesky is a really amazing sounding pedal, and yeah, probably studio quality. You can do presets and stuff with it, and it gives you a ton of options. I'm a bit of a primitive when it comes to pedals; I like set'em and forget em pedals, and you can do a lot of tweaking with the Bluesky.

FWIW, Josh Scott of of JHS just dropped a "my 5 favorite reverbs" video on his youtube channel a few hours ago, and the Bluesky is on there. He does a short clip of the plate setting with one of the mode parameters at an extreme. It's a good example of what you can do with it, and the sound quality is pretty much what you get at any setting.
 #169785  by tdcrjeff

PurpleTrails wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:18 pmFWIW, Josh Scott of of JHS just dropped a "my 5 favorite reverbs" video on his youtube channel a few hours ago, and the Bluesky is on there. He does a short clip of the plate setting with one of the mode parameters at an extreme. It's a good example of what you can do with it, and the sound quality is pretty much what you get at any setting.
 #169787  by PurpleTrails

JHS Pedals = Josh H. Scott pedal company. He drops one or two recordings a week, almost always featuring other makers' pedals. He's really fair, knowledgeable, ethical and funny.

He also has a huge pedal collection, including the first Klon, which he put up for sale for $500,000 a couple of weeks ago (to raise money for charity I believe). I don't think it sold.
 #169788  by Searing75

He put the Klon up as a joke. He knew it wouldn’t sell at that price. Although, someone did have it in their cart, and apparently tried to purchase but there was an issue with their credit card or something. JHS Pedals are great, and his videos are funny and informative. That Pedal Show is another awesome YouTube gem.
 #169790  by Gr8fulCadi

I second his top non-Analog pick. I’ve been through a few reverb pedals and the Source Audio is the best......for me. It compares favorably against all my Fender amps, reverb and tremolo. :rasta:

I did flirt with purchasing the Surfy Bear reverb unit/pedal, but just couldn’t justify the $$$. One day maybe
 #169817  by wpmartin1979

No else mentioned that his favorite of all seems to be the Boss RV-500. He seems to think it beats the Strymon Big Sky. Anyone try this unit or any other Boss reverbs?

Also notable was his praise of Keeley Caverns which is also recommended by Stumminix in this thread and others
Searing75 liked this