name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #167528  by robertmu

Hello folks. I'm new here but not new to playing guitar. I've been playing since I was about 7 and somehow now have 30+ years of playing under my belt. I came to the Dead late in life - only within the past few years have I moved beyond the standard classic rock radio fare. The band's chemistry and JG's playing are inspirations for me these days. But mainly I like the way they seem to play to their mood or surroundings. Don't know how to describe it but it's sort of like every show is its own snapshot in time of how the band felt and were reflecting the crowd and venue. Anyway, happy to be a member here and a Dead fan.
Robert
 #167529  by lbpesq

Hi Robert.

Welcome to the club and welcome aboard the bus! You definitely “get it”. The Dead never played the same thing the same way twice and the audience was every bit a member of the band. I was fortunate to have seen them well over a hundred times, maybe close to 200, all the way back to Pigpen.

Bill, the guitar one
 #167530  by Jon S.

Welcome, Robert. I'm down the pike in Northern Virginia. I visit Baltimore regularly - or at least had been doing so until the social distancing kicked in - to visit my guitar tech and friend, Phil Jacoby, for O's games, concerts, museums, etc.
 #167550  by Jon S.

robertmu wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:06 pm I've been playing since I was about 7 and somehow now have 30+ years of playing under my belt. I came to the Dead late in life
As I reread your intro you got me laughing - if 37 is "late in life," a lot of the rest of us had better cue up another play of Old and In the Way. :lol:
 #167559  by robertmu

Thanks for the welcomes! Well, I'm a bit more than 37, LOL. I was being generous to myself with 30+ years. Let's say 35+ years. :shock: Just meant that the dead were around before I was born and somehow I never paid them much attention until the last 5 years or so.

As an aside, I somewhat recently saw JRAD in Philadelphia and was totally shocked by how young the crowd was. Shocked in a good way. Glad to see the Dead have a following even now.