#164645  by ibrook52277

Hi y'all,

Another question as far as Bob and The Other One goes. At 24:55 in the Bickershaw Other One (5/7/72) Bob goes starts strumming this really cool chord that kicks off a nice melodic jam for the next 2 minutes or so. I've been sitting with my guitar trying to figure it out and I just can't get it. Can someone help me out? Attached is a link to the version which (should) start out right at this jam. Thanks!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/DAejw6eKFUg?t=1495[/youtube]
 #164661  by old man down

aiq wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:36 am To me sounds like F#m11 to Em11

x x
10 8
9 7
9 7
9 7
x x

A typical McCoy Tyner move.

ibrook52277,

You don't have to go as deep as the A string. It sounds like Phil is covering that string.

The ensuing motif seems to be calling on the pinky reach of the 12th fret B string, and probably liking the 12 fret high E string too, though somewhat muted.

Play around with everything, by slowing down to 50% speed with the YouTube Speed Control, and you'll get it to ooze its essence.
ibrook52277 liked this
 #164688  by lovetoboogie

This 72' video from Europe has some good camera angles of Weir... With some similar themes...

Skip to around the 12:00 Mark and watch them take flight out of drums. You will notice Weir has a lot of movement. What sounds like he is reaching with a free fret finger is often a whole new grip...

https://youtu.be/EKiM9gH9Ndc
old man down liked this
 #164691  by old man down

Ha!

Such a strange video. The blue background (for potential video projection), and then there is the incredible camera work, where you can really pick out what they're doing.

Essentially, it looks like they're all stepping in on each other's space, all the time.

Good call on your description of "a whole new grip."

A lot can be learned from a video like this. What becomes apparent is Bob's style is one of his not wanting to rely on someone else to fill any voids. If you start relying on others filling in, then what happens is you get dead spots here and there, and the energy wafts and just doesn't stay uptempo.

Phil without glasses. Bob has a broken string (or something) constantly gleaming. Jerry wearing the leather, and such crisp closeups of that Nash Fender

Really enjoyable to follow their movement at slower speeds.
 #164698  by tdcrjeff

lovetoboogie wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:05 pm This 72' video from Europe has some good camera angles of Weir... With some similar themes...

Skip to around the 12:00 Mark and watch them take flight out of drums. You will notice Weir has a lot of movement. What sounds like he is reaching with a free fret finger is often a whole new grip...

https://youtu.be/EKiM9gH9Ndc
OUTSTANDING! The Beat Club themselves have but this up, the previous versions came from people who recorded the screen in theaters when it was projected for GD Meet Up at the Movies a few years ago. Deserves it's own thread.
lovetoboogie liked this
 #164727  by milobender

I like the chaotic 'stepping in on each other's space' "o) It sounds more like the 12 armed, 12 legged being-from-beyond than the more refined group that followed. I love this period!
old man down wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:00 pm Ha!

Such a strange video. The blue background (for potential video projection), and then there is the incredible camera work, where you can really pick out what they're doing.

Essentially, it looks like they're all stepping in on each other's space, all the time.

TI4-1009 liked this
 #173146  by ibrook52277

Returning to this one after a few years…so the jam is set up (around 24:30-25:00) with the F#m > Em type thing detailed above, but then the jam that follows it (from like 25:00 to 27:00) is mostly Bm & Em. Glad I finally figured this one out and hope it’s useful for someone else
Jon S. liked this