#157117  by coolrays

Just getting in to jamming on some Dead tunes, and I'd like to put together a mini board for getting in the ballpark of Dead tones.

So I thought this would be a good place to see what you'd do if you could pick 4-5 effects pedals to get close.

Currently, I have:
Keeley 2-Knob Compressor
Way Huge Red Llama
Keeley Bubble Tron
MXR Phase 90 (modded)
Boss RE-20 Space Echo

I run into a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

What should I add? What should I stay away from? What would you get to build a small board?

Let's talk about it!
 #157118  by playingdead

Garcia did not use many different effects ... staples were:

Overdrive -- MXR Dist + or equivalent, or Boss OD-2 Turbo in later years
Delay -- in later years, mostly a quick "slap" delay more than longer timed delays
Envelope filter -- Mutron 3 -- a few good alternatives out there -- also used it backwards for 76-79 era Dancin' in the Streets

Less used:

Phaser (fast rate, more like a Leslie high speed sound, Candyman, Music Never Stopped, sometimes used with the overdrive, Far From Me, Not Fade Away late 70s).
Octave (Feel Like a Stranger, Terrapin, rarely heard outside of space otherwise, with the Mutron sometimes)
Wah pedal (Playing in the Band, other spotty use here and there, more common in 73-74)
Whammy -- very late years, Corrina, Sugaree, etc.

Definitely don't need much ... never compression or most other time effects, or very sparingly -- if ever (chorus, flanger, etc.)
 #157119  by coolrays

playingdead wrote:Definitely don't need much...
I get that. I've noticed that even if I do use effects, they're quite subtle.

I did feel that even though Jerry didn't use compression, a light setting does help even things out for me.

So, what would YOU use if you had 3-5 spaces to fill?
 #157120  by TeeJay

Delay -- in later years, mostly a quick "slap" delay more than longer timed delays
Envelope filter -- Mutron 3 -- a few good alternatives out there -- also used it backwards for 76-79 era Dancin' in the Streets
 #157127  by coolrays

TeeJay wrote:
Sounds to me as if he is referring to Jerry.. "Later years", "76-79", etc.

I am looking to start a conversation about getting close to Dead tones on a budget, with a small board. Do you have anything constructive to add? :lol:
 #157169  by TeeJay

The title of your OP is Jerry sound.
I am looking to start a conversation about getting close to Dead tones on a budget, with a small board. Do you have anything constructive to add? :lol:
Not sure what you are after with dead tones?
 #157170  by coolrays

TeeJay wrote:
The title of your OP is Jerry sound.
Not sure what you are after with dead tones?
I understand, man. I wanted to get a conversation going of what people on this board may use on their... boards. Totally not trying to be rude or pick a fight. Not the place for that. :smile:
 #157174  by ccw3432

Since you have reverb at the amp already, here's how I would set it up with 5 compact pedals. If you want to drop one take your pick based on what sounds you want the least.

1. Tuner (Polytune)
2. Envelope Filter (The Mu-Fx Micro-Tron III is suppose to be released soon and it's compact)
3. Overdirve (SMS Earth Drive)
4. Distortion
5. Delay (MXR Carbon Copy)
 #157186  by strumminsix

ccw3432 wrote:Since you have reverb at the amp already, here's how I would set it up with 5 compact pedals. If you want to drop one take your pick based on what sounds you want the least.

1. Tuner (Polytune)
2. Envelope Filter (The Mu-Fx Micro-Tron III is suppose to be released soon and it's compact)
4. Distortion
I like the way you think.
 #157196  by MattMan

ccw3432 wrote:Since you have reverb at the amp already, here's how I would set it up with 5 compact pedals. If you want to drop one take your pick based on what sounds you want the least.

1. Tuner (Polytune)
4. Distortion
Pretty close. For a set of five, I would substitute the 4 and 5 for octave and phase. IMO, delay is relatively minimal, and one OD pedal is sufficient. Get the OD2 and the OC2 or 3. You could probably get both of those for the price of an Earth Drive. You could also get clip on polytune and use the open 1 for a delay. Order should be OC2 > Envelope > OD2 > Phase > Delay. Of course if you don't have an OBEL, you should replace Delay with a volume pedal and keep your axe wide open.
 #157201  by RiseandFall

I have about 10 pedals on my board. I use several weird ones for space type sounds.
That said, if I were limited to 5 I'd keep, in order of importance;

1. Earth Drive (it is always on and dialed in for grit with aggressive picking..it adds a Tigeresque tonality to my sound).
2. Mu-tron (I use mine with a Strymon compressor which helps control it , but it is ok on its own and a very Jerry pedal).
3. Solar Flare (primary Jerry dist pedal...it is very Jerry)
4. Script Phase 90 (rarely used but perfect on occasion)
5. Octave pedal (so subjective you should try several to see what works for you)

Respectfully, you may be asking the wrong questions. Getting the Jerry sound isn't about pedals...90% of the time mine are all off except the Earth Drive.
Pickups, speakers, preamp and treble/mid bass settings (treble on 10 and bass on zero...use the mid to add low end), and more importantly picking/touch/hand dynamics are FAR more important.

Getting there is as daunting as it is fun.
 #157203  by Jon S.

coolrays wrote:I'd like to put together a mini board for getting in the ballpark of Dead tones.

... pick 4-5 effects pedals to get close.

Let's talk about it!
I'm taking you at your word that you're not concerned with copying Jerry exactly but, as you say, want to get close and in the ballpark. A Line 6 M13 might be something worth checking out for a compact option that can cover every pedal type you've mentioned and many more also with a built in tuner, noise gate, tap tempo, and looper. With 12 immediately accessible "scenes" and deeper virtual options, you could use it for playing Dead and a lot more music, too.