#155323  by tcsned

I played a friend's D'Angelico last weekend and I was impressed. It wasn't an especially high end one either. Matte black finish. The neck felt good and it played really well. I didn't plug it into an amp. It seemed to feel a lot nicer than the Epiphones I used to sell at the music store.
 #155324  by tntawney

The deluxe series is going for $7 grand and the premier is going for $1100 on musicians friend.com. A huge difference in price with the only difference being chrome hardware instead of gold and differ knobs. Weird
 #155358  by caspersvapors

tntawney wrote:The deluxe series is going for $7 grand and the premier is going for $1100 on musicians friend.com. A huge difference in price with the only difference being chrome hardware instead of gold and differ knobs. Weird

the deluxe model I see is signed by Bobby, thats probably why its priced so much higher
 #155359  by tntawney

caspersvapors wrote:
tntawney wrote:The deluxe series is going for $7 grand and the premier is going for $1100 on musicians friend.com. A huge difference in price with the only difference being chrome hardware instead of gold and differ knobs. Weird

the deluxe model I see is signed by Bobby, thats probably why its priced so much higher

That explains it. They also have different humbuckers on each. The premier has D'angelico made humbuckers and the deluxe has new Seymore Duncan 59s. The deluxe has higher fretwire also.
 #155619  by jalevinemd

tntawney wrote:
caspersvapors wrote:

That explains it. They also have different humbuckers on each. The premier has D'angelico made humbuckers and the deluxe has new Seymore Duncan 59s. The deluxe has higher fretwire also.

None of that should add up to a $6000 difference. Is one USA made and the other overseas?
 #155652  by Utah Joe

The Deluxe model is made in South Korea and the Premier is made in Indonesia. Besides the case, gold plated hardware and Bobby's signature on the Deluxe there really are no obvious differences in the materials which would justify the price on the Deluxe unless I've overlooked something. For about the same price of the Deluxe you can get a very nice, completely customized guitar from Scott Walker or Leo Elliott. Now, I like Bobby and it looks like a nice guitar, but holy moly...
 #157318  by Jon S.

On a rare visit to GC yesterday, I encountered one of these for $999. Is this the same guitar as the matte black finish model just with a red white and blue bolt finish?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DAngelico/P ... adType^PLA

#157342  by Jubal

Yep. GC is .5 miles from my house, so I go there fairly often for strings, cables, etc.
Last time I went in ( double checking dimensions on a Fender Hot Rod sized cabinet I was building)
They had the stealie guitar on the tech desk.

#157948  by Drybonz

Jon S. wrote:Is this the same guitar as the matte black finish model just with a red white and blue bolt finish?
Hey Jon... there are a lot of differences between the lightning bolt and the Bob Weir model. The lightning bolt is pretty basic. The Bob Weir has a Bigsby tremolo system, built-in coil splitting controlled by push-pulling the tone knob for each pickup, a master volume above the playing hand area, not sure if the pickups are the same... probably some other minor stuff.

I actually just ordered the Bob Weir premier (not the gold one... lol)... it should be here in a day or two. If you guys are interested I can post some thoughts once I play around with it a bit.
 #158026  by Drybonz

My D'Angelico showed up and I have been enjoying it. I will probably swap out pickups, as these are a bit muddy for my taste. I read, in another thread, recommendations for the DiMarzio 36th anniversary PAFs... and I did also notice that D'Angelico ships the signature gold Bob Weir model with Seymour Duncan 59s (instead of the D'Angelico made pickups that come in the regular, silver Bob Weir that I bought).

Does anyone have experience with the Seymour Duncans they use... maybe someone who has used both those and the DiMarzios that can compare the two? I appreciate any info you can help me with. Thanks.
 #158036  by Jon S.

Drybonz wrote:I did also notice that D'Angelico ships the signature gold Bob Weir model with Seymour Duncan 59s (instead of the D'Angelico made pickups that come in the regular, silver Bob Weir that I bought).

Does anyone have experience with the Seymour Duncans they use...
A while back, I swapped a pair of Duncan 59s into a Les Paul I've since sold. If enhanced clarity is your tonal goal, you should like these. Consider also 500K pots. In fact, if you have a helpful tech, he might be able to ID for you a range of values from 300-500K for you to experiment with to determine your fave.
 #158040  by Drybonz

Thanks Jon... I appreciate the advice... improved clarity in tone and voice is what I'm going for, so I appreciate the info.

The guy that I take my guitar to for work is one of the best around, so I will talk to him about that and see what he can do. Thanks again.