#152510  by Ebearius

That is likely a choice driven by back or shoulder issues. I've never found those to be inspiring to play. But they are really light and comfortable.
 #152514  by strumminsix

I owned one for a while. Never did love the tone but where it excels: weight, balance, comfort, killer neck, stayed in tune forever.
 #152515  by Blacklodgebob

couldn't you just pick one with a decent tone wood compliment, and swap out the electronics? Seems like it would approximate just about any solid bolt on guitar.
 #152518  by JDB30

I watched the clip of the 2nd set. Interesting tone... sounded like a piezo pickup blended with single coils. Almost sounded like he was going direct.
 #152534  by strumminsix

Blacklodgebob wrote:couldn't you just pick one with a decent tone wood compliment, and swap out the electronics? Seems like it would approximate just about any solid bolt on guitar.
Being older and wiser and getting tone I suppose that I would take another whack at it and get better results.

But the reality is that it lacked a certain life that I need to feel in my instrument.
 #152565  by pablomago

I'm wondering if there isn't some kind of MIDI or guitar synth stuff going on with the Fly. Bobby has two iPads going and I think one might me for guitar processing. He was messing with the iPad while playing the Fly and I didn't see him doing that at other times in the show. Just speculation on my part.
 #152569  by tcsned

Our rhythm guitarist used one briefly, it was really light but sounded wimpy. I'm sure there's gotta be a wa to improve the tone.