Talk about the recent Tours
 #144020  by TI4-1009

I'm glad it's happening- at least from a "closing the loop" "full circle" "half century" "posterity's sake" perspective.

Soldier Filed wouldn't have been my first choice- too many sad memories about Jerry's final show.

I'm guessing JK got blackballed by the drummers? From what I've heard from them they would think he's too much like Jerry and if they went for a reunion it would be in the spirit of moving on, not looking back. They weren't interested in being in a Dead tribute band. I'd guess that's a chip Bob and Phil had to give up to get it to happen. I was unsatisfied with any of the post-Dead bands that didn't at least pay a good dose of lip service to Jerry and his signature licks. The songs just didn't sound complete without some of their critical "guts". In a perfect world Trey will be able to walk the line between the two "factions". All pure speculation on my part.
 #144021  by flyingheelhook

I am happy to hear it is happening and mostly concur with T14-1009. I respect Trey but am not a big fan - for whatever reason, his music doesn't reach out and grab me. I'm getting old and crotchety, I don't think I will be clamoring for hotel and tickets to Chicago. I'd go out of my way if there were closer probably, but to each his own.
 #144022  by Trecia

This is awesome. Full stop. Probably can't go but would love to stream, and would buy DVDs up front given the chance.
Trey is the only guitarist with the chops, imagination, charisma, to be able to pull this off. To totally pay tribute and be himself at the same time. To put a quality bookend on this era! These shows will double the quality of the first Phil and Friends run. I would love to see lots of features and guests including Mattson, Donna and JK, Joan, Chris Rob. and other Phish. Got chills when the details were announced. Bruce! Bruce..... Bruce!
 #144023  by Trecia

Was expecting a tour this summer but this is almost better somehow.
 #144025  by schmidtz

Super glad I booked that hotel yesterday... everything around there is sold out now.

Regarding GDTS TOO -- how likely is it to get floor tickets if I mail it at midnight on Tuesday (the first day we are supposed to), and what should I do to improve my odds? I'm definitely going to decorate the envelope, hoping to catch someone's eye... I've never used the mail order system before, as I'm a youngin'
 #144026  by TI4-1009

schmidtz wrote:Regarding GDTS TOO -- how likely is it to get floor tickets if I mail it at midnight on Tuesday (the first day we are supposed to), and what should I do to improve my odds? I'm definitely going to decorate the envelope, hoping to catch someone's eye... I've never used the mail order system before, as I'm a youngin'
Ahhh... the hours I've whiled away at the local Post Office... :-) Sneaking out of work, getting those postal money orders and stuffing the self-addressed post-paid envelopes...

The uncertainty came in after they opened up other options. If you hadn't heard back from GDTS by the time public tickets went on sale you were between the proverbial "rock and a hard place". Should I hedge my bets? Nowadays with all these these fancy Interwebs do they send you a confirmation right away if GDTS fills your order?

It was always like a lottery- and this one should be like the MegaMillions! All the eggs are in pretty much one basket this time.
 #144028  by strumminsix

mkaufman wrote:From a musical perspective,what do people expect? Why will this be better than, for example, Furthur or P&F? The issue for the last 20 years has been who will fill Jerry's shoes. Still unresolved...

I find a lot of excitement over something which will probably be disappointing. I hope not, but my hopes aren't high.
I'm with you, Mike. All my friends are excited, it's happening in my hometown, and all I can think of is... why Trey?!?! I really like Phish but think he's a horrible fit for this. It only makes sense from a concert promoter/booking agent/insurance liability POV. IE: trey will be a draw unto himself (sells tickets), if Bobby's health failed again show goes on, cross over Phish fans, etc... But to me I'd much rather see:
Bobby, Phil, Mickey, Bill and..... Donna Jean + TC + Bruce Hornsby + a night with Branford Marsalis

I bet Bruce could cop enough of the JG signature licks on keys and it wouldn't sound like Jerry clone.
 #144029  by Trecia

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!!!!!

Now all we need is a Springsteen cameo!
 #144031  by jefkahn

I'm sort of mixed on this. I'm sure being there would be very exciting, and I'll probably do mail order and see what happens. But I wouldn't get my hopes up that this would be as good as an average-level Dead show. I like John K, and I'm not a huge Trey fan personally, so I'm not sure this would feel better than a Furthur show to me.
 #144033  by Poor Peter

From a fan of the Good Ol' Greatful Dead, this reeks of amateur hour. Im not trying to look down my nose just because I've seen the boys 150+ times, but FB is lit up right now w/ kids and they're plans to "PARTY". I'm mildly interested in seeing this under different circumstances, but Soldier Field the weekend of the fourth is going to be utter chaos. Just sayin'
 #144034  by dleonard

The lack of enthusiasm here is insane! What's the difference between this and Furthur, really? Instead we get Trey?! I just feel like I should be a part of this. But then again, I was 10 when Jerry died and am probably overcompensating.
 #144037  by alcorelectric

Posted on thier site $99 for GA $59-$159? for reserved
I think its cool to that they picked soldier field as this was the last GD show
But I stopped going after Brents Last Show as the newcomers were adding an unpleasant vibe to the shows
IMHO
Plus I am not a fan of Trey
T
 #144040  by bluemule

I'm gonna give it a go. The last show was my first show. Plus my five year old is always asking for either fire on the mountain or man mulcahey.
 #144042  by ccw3432

I expect Trey will be able to really do justice to these songs and still keep them fresh. Great decision by the Dead. And with Bruce and Jeff. New and great things are possible with this recipe. I'm really hoping for live video or audio stream on these shows. I'm really tempted to get tickets, but man Soldier Field is friggin' enormous.