#138346  by strumminsix

Different handling of low mids compared to 1x12. Less punch IMO. My Vibroverb works very well for Bobby stuff though...
 #138348  by Smolder

K130 in my open back pine cab... sits under my SMS/MC50... love it.
 #138349  by ccw3432

I saw the Stu Allen Band play a few months ago at Terrapin Crossroads. Stu was playing his Moriarty through a RI Fender 65 Twin 15. He had a great tone going on with this amp that comes stock with a 15" aluminum coned speaker. I'd like to give one a try sometime. Here's a link to the amp on the Fender website.

http://www.fender.com/series/vintage-re ... m-15-120v/
 #138360  by tatittle

For guitar I don't prefer a single 15". I have a JBL D130 in a 2x12 size cabinet I use mostly as extention cab occassionally. Probably going to sell it though.
 #138367  by strummingturtle

I have been using a jbl d130 in a cab that I built which has an oval back, with a 12 inch altec 417 8h in another home built cab with open back. I have been just loving the tone I have been getting. Not going for the exact jerry tone anymore but still can sound pretty convincing if playing a dead tune. First heard Kimock recommend this combo so I had to try it.
 #138370  by Griffyote

What kind of 15? How loud do you want to play? I picked up some D130s simply because they were a good deal for their condition. I believe the 130s have the same voice coil as the 120s so they have that signature JBL tone. Here's one for sale: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=264404
I should mention that I leaned towards the 15 because also play pedal steel through them and had read rave reviews of them by pedal steel players.
 #138371  by ricepr

Griffyote wrote:What kind of 15? How loud do you want to play? I picked up some D130s simply because they were a good deal for their condition. I believe the 130s have the same voice coil as the 120s so they have that signature JBL tone. Here's one for sale: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=264404
I should mention that I leaned towards the 15 because also play pedal steel through them and had read rave reviews of them by pedal steel players.
Thinking of a hemp reconed D130, to run under a Bandmaster Reverb with upgraded transformer and recapped running clean. For Jerry, country, jamband stuff, and jazz
 #138372  by Griffyote

I can't imagine that rig sounding bad. Only you could decide if it's what you want by trying it. Who does Hemp re-cones for those? I may need to know someday.
 #138377  by tatittle

I imagine a hemp recone would sound considerably different than an original D130. The extreme high freq's likely wont be boosted like the original and it may have an overall darker tone which usually matches well with distortion and looser response. I don't have a lot of experience with hemp cones though.
 #138382  by strummingturtle

In my experience hemp cones will have less shrill highs then an original jbl cone. The hemp cone has more bass response and fuller mids and it increases power. You will just loose some of that chimey, sparkly highs you can get with a jbl original cone.
On this planet louder is better david. (Jerry quote)
 #139193  by zambiland

strummingturtle wrote: You will just loose some of that chimey, sparkly highs you can get with a jbl original cone.
Which is key to the sound, in my opinion.