#97650  by lunasparks
 Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:24 am
mkaufman wrote:That combination sounds really nice. Can you please provide details on your Strat? Just wondering how much the guitar is contributing to the Jerry-like tone.

tnx,
mk
American Standard circa 1989 with DiMarzio Area 58 pickup in the middle position. All else is stock. There was a big difference in switching from the stock pickup to the Area 58 -- it's much clearer than the stock, which I thought was kind of muddy or ill-defined.
 #97667  by JonnyBoy
 Sun May 01, 2011 12:11 pm
I have a strat, or a Showmaster, that I put the area 58's in the front and middle and a 67 in the bridge. The Area 58's output is not as hot as what Jerry used, but the tone is very well defined and classic sounding. When I read an article about the power of a pickup v's good tone, I lowered my pickups and adjusted power from other sources like a booster, preamp or power amp to insert clipping and harmonics. It made a huge difference for the better IMO. I really love the guitar and the pickups, it just doesn't play well with the super II's settings on my rig. To use the guitar I have to redo the levels on everything, but it is a great classic Strat tone and Jerry lives inside there too!!
 #107932  by TRG
 Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:06 am
mijknahs wrote:So, you are only using half of the MC250 into 1x12" 8 ohm speaker. It would be interesting to see if you notice a difference in tone (if at all fatter or thicker tone) if you ran it in mono bridged mode.

I've noticed this bridging my MC2120. Also big different in sound using a 2x12" cab vs. just a 1x12" cab. The 2x12" cab sounds beefier and just better.

Jim
Have you tried playing with 2- 1x12 cabs? Just wondering what the difference in sound is, in playing 2 - 1x12 cabs vs. a 2x12 cab?
 #107934  by wolftigerrosebud
 Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:45 am
TRG wrote: Have you tried playing with 2- 1x12 cabs? Just wondering what the difference in sound is, in playing 2 - 1x12 cabs vs. a 2x12 cab?
+1 I'm curious about this as well. Anyone know?
 #110096  by TRG
 Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:36 pm
So I know this is an old thread, but I was searching for some info on the MC250 rocker settings (stereo vs. mono):

1.) If you only have an input in the right channel and one speaker tap on the right output, is there any difference in having the rocker set to mono vs. stereo? It works in both positions but wasn't sure of there was a "right" way...assuming it would be mono?

2.) My assumption is that you would only have the rocker set to "stereo" when you have a left and right input and also a left a right speaker tap. Is that a correct assumption?

3.) And finally, if you want bridged mono for the 100+ wattage, you'd keep the rocker in mono mode, correct?

Thanks!
 #137660  by TeeJay
 Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:34 pm
I have a MC250 on the way. :cool: To get the speaker cable built correctly what size spade connectors are the best fit for the mac screws? Would ring connectors be better or will the screws not come all the way out?
 #137661  by mijknahs
 Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:57 pm
You should use Mono only if bridging the 2 channels. Otherwise keep in stereo and just use the channels separately.

The speaker screws do come all the way out so you could use spades if you want.
 #137662  by JustinJohn
 Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:12 pm
I keep my MC250 in mono mode, I run only thru the right channel out of the 4/com connections, into my two 8ohm speakers wired in parallel. I've often wondered if I did this right... would there be a better way to wire this?
 #137667  by TeeJay
 Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:10 pm
Are the screws on the MC output terminals a #8 or #10 size ect.?
 #137668  by mijknahs
 Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:13 pm
JustinJohn wrote:I keep my MC250 in mono mode, I run only thru the right channel out of the 4/com connections, into my two 8ohm speakers wired in parallel. I've often wondered if I did this right... would there be a better way to wire this?
2x8 ohm speakers in parallel = 4 ohms, so you got it hooked up right. It's not in Mono mode unless you have the two speaker strips bridged. You should have the amp in stereo mode unless you have the speaker strips bridged. To bridge the two channels and get 4 ohms, you'd bridge both 8 ohm connections together and bridge the "COM" (ground) together as well. Maybe the mono/stereo switch doesn't do anything unless you bridge the 2 channels together. Then you MUST have it in Mono mode or you might fry the amp.
 #137670  by JustinJohn
 Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:26 pm
mijknahs wrote:
JustinJohn wrote:I keep my MC250 in mono mode, I run only thru the right channel out of the 4/com connections, into my two 8ohm speakers wired in parallel. I've often wondered if I did this right... would there be a better way to wire this?
2x8 ohm speakers in parallel = 4 ohms, so you got it hooked up right. It's not in Mono mode unless you have the two speaker strips bridged. You should have the amp in stereo mode unless you have the speaker strips bridged. To bridge the two channels and get 4 ohms, you'd bridge both 8 ohm connections together and bridge the "COM" (ground) together as well. Maybe the mono/stereo switch doesn't do anything unless you bridge the 2 channels together. Then you MUST have it in Mono mode or you might fry the amp.
My switch is always set to 'mono'; nothing is plugged into the left input, and the left volume knob is at zero... As I mentioned, nothing is connected to the speaker connectors for the 'left' side, only the right. This is okay for my amp? (I don't want to fry it)

...I don't need to bridge the channels, it is SO LOUD as it is!! (50w mono)
 #137671  by mijknahs
 Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:30 pm
JustinJohn wrote:
mijknahs wrote:
JustinJohn wrote:I keep my MC250 in mono mode, I run only thru the right channel out of the 4/com connections, into my two 8ohm speakers wired in parallel. I've often wondered if I did this right... would there be a better way to wire this?
2x8 ohm speakers in parallel = 4 ohms, so you got it hooked up right. It's not in Mono mode unless you have the two speaker strips bridged. You should have the amp in stereo mode unless you have the speaker strips bridged. To bridge the two channels and get 4 ohms, you'd bridge both 8 ohm connections together and bridge the "COM" (ground) together as well. Maybe the mono/stereo switch doesn't do anything unless you bridge the 2 channels together. Then you MUST have it in Mono mode or you might fry the amp.
My switch is always set to 'mono'; nothing is plugged into the left input, and the left volume knob is at zero... As I mentioned, nothing is connected to the speaker connectors for the 'left' side, only the right. This is okay for my amp? (I don't want to fry it)

...I don't need to bridge the channels, it is SO LOUD as it is!! (50w mono)
I don't think you're hurting the amp. Just to be safe, flip the switch to STEREO. You shouldn't notice any difference in sound or volume. You are basically only using one amp of two available.