#137282  by Poor Peter

In reading some of the recent threads on different ways to boost your signal, does anyone else (besides myself) ever just go from single coil to humbucker when you need that extra little "oomph"? I know that's not always going to be a solution, but I pretty much know before we start a tune if I am going to need a little extra punch at some point and set my guitar up accordingly. It's got me wondering if maybe my pups aren't wired correctly and I just never realized it. Im not very tech savvy, but Im trying to learn. I always assumed that the increase in volume when I switched between split and hb was a result of using both coils instead of just the one? Anyone?
 #137283  by hippieguy1954

You are correct!

Two coils (humbucker) is louder/stronger than one coil.

Occasionally and very much depending on the song, of course, I will flip the bridge pickup to humbucker for boost and grit.
 #137288  by TI4-1009

And as noted elsewhere, my envelope filters usually respond a little better if I beef up the signal by adding the second coil of the Super 2.
 #137293  by mgbills

I do use that humbucker.

It warms & fattens the signal, but if you're not just doing Jer...that's just fine. I love to use the HB to push my Earth Drive. I have the ED in a GCX, and in single-coil mode it add's just a bit of grizzle. When you flip the HB on it gets nice & dirty. I love that option.

I don't use it to boost the envelope filter. My MuTron is set for the output of a split Super 2, and quacks perfectly with that setup. If I'm using that effect and switch to the HB, it changes the output pretty dramatically and not in a good way.

For the build I'm into, I'll also add a blaster (in addition to the buffer). I've played with a blaster in another guitar, and now I'm ready to have both on board at all times.
Peace.