#130120  by Grateful Dad

Today I took my family on a snorkeling cruise off the Kona coast in Hawaii. The cove we anchored in is called "Coral Gardens". The boat captain told us that Jerry logged over 500 scuba hours here (it's easy to see why) and in addition donated much of his money so the island could sink moorings into the ocean floor for boats to "anchor" to. This is important because traditional anchors would destroy the coral when they hit and scraped bottom.

Jerry loved this particular spot and would scuba here often in order to get away on vacation and relax from the pressures of the Grateful Dead. The cove is a reminder of Jerry's love of life, generosity, thoughtfulness, and caring nature.

I thought to myself what if Jerry just called it quits when the pressure of touring got to be too much (especially early 1990's after Brent died). He may still be with us (although not touring at the insane rate he did) and enjoying life like he should. This island is so magical, peaceful, and wonderful it may have been the perfect place to retire and enjoy life instead of carrying the weight of Grateful Dead "Incorporated" on his shoulders.

So today just gave me a chance to pause and think "what if". What if Jerry just said "fuck it, this shit ain't worth killing myself for" and devoted more time to taking care of himself than trying to keep the juggernaut of the Grateful Dead going. I wish he would have. The scene at the end sucked, the mobs of ticketless "miracle seekers", the gate crashers, the violence, the fake Deadheads, and the overall ugliness of the scene at the end just sucked the life out of the man and the band.

"What if" indeed.
 #130123  by hippieguy1954

Just curious as to what a trip like that for a family costs these days.
 #130128  by TI4-1009

Don't tell me you bought into the Serenity Knolls cover story?
 #130129  by tcsned

That is a magical place. I thought Jerry spent his time on Kaua'i, I'm not a diver but did a lot of snorkeling there. If you're still there and Kahulanui is playing out you should check them out. Their drummer is a founding member of my Dead band in Virginia and is a super cool guy.
 #130133  by seamones

TI4-1009 wrote:Don't tell me you bought into the Serenity Knolls cover story?
ok, against better judgement, I'll bite: cover story? How?
 #130137  by TI4-1009

no no no no no..... jk, nevermind, ignore, delete.

You know, the conspiracy theories- Elvis, Jer, Lennon, JFK, off the merry-go-round, away on some island. Talk radio fodder.
 #130140  by ebick

TI4-1009 wrote:no no no no no..... jk, nevermind, ignore, delete.

You know, the conspiracy theories- Elvis, Jer, Lennon, JFK, off the merry-go-round, away on some island. Talk radio fodder.
You know.......I was sure I saw Jerry with Elvis the other day in a Walgreens.....

But seriously, I don't think Jerry ever saw "retiring" as an option. And he certainly did carry the weight of the Grateful Dead machine on his shoulders.
 #130142  by rugger

tcsned wrote:That is a magical place. I thought Jerry spent his time on Kaua'i, I'm not a diver but did a lot of snorkeling there. If you're still there and Kahulanui is playing out you should check them out. Their drummer is a founding member of my Dead band in Virginia and is a super cool guy.
I love it! tcsned, I want to know who you haven't played with! :-)

john in san diego
 #130148  by tcsned

rugger wrote: I love it! tcsned, I want to know who you haven't played with! :-)

john in san diego
Lol - for a total hack I've been pretty lucky :lol:
 #130150  by Grateful Dad

hippieguy1954 wrote:Just curious as to what a trip like that for a family costs these days.
Well first, marry a beautiful woman who you love more than life itself whose step-father has a home on the island (easy part)! Then save like crazy when invited. And when you are there let your wife handle all the financial transactions....it's kept this trip stress free for me! All in all this vacation is not much more than renting a place at the Jersey shore for a week because all we had to do was buy the plane tickets and have some spending $$ while here. But even if it takes you a long time to save for a trip here, do it, it is an incredible place.
tcsned wrote:That is a magical place. I thought Jerry spent his time on Kaua'i, I'm not a diver but did a lot of snorkeling there. If you're still there and Kahulanui is playing out you should check them out. Their drummer is a founding member of my Dead band in Virginia and is a super cool guy.
Thanks for the tip! Tomorrow night is our night out together without our boys so we may just eat dinner at the Mauna Lani Beach Club and check them out!

BTW I also checked to see if 7 Walkers, Billy's band, might be playing while we are here but according to their website Billy has a condition in his left arm that is just not responding to treatment and will not be drumming until at least October. Get well Billy K!
 #130152  by Grateful Dad

Tim Taylor?
 #130165  by tcsned

Grateful Dad wrote:
Tim Taylor?
Yes, that him!! If you see him tell him Tom says Aloha!
Last edited by tcsned on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #130166  by tcsned

From a party on a friend's farm on the Big Island: