name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #124685  by frankzappasmustache

I play guitar and piano and live in North Carolina. I think that's what I'm supposed to tell you.

I'm here from phish.net. I've been a huge Phish fan for a while, never really feel like I've gotten the Dead until now. I've always listened to them basically out of respect, but just recently I was walking my dog and :D doing what I think this smiley face is doing (?) and listening to the 11/17/73 Playing sandwich, and had what I guess I would call an epiphany? I don't know what really I would call it but it felt like the music I was hearing finally made sense. And it was great! I decided to peruse through some of the dead that I have but have never really given a proper listen to, and I stumbled upon the Watkins Glenn Soundcheck Jam which absolutely shattered my mind, and cemented my newfound interest in the Dead.

So, Hey guys!

p.s. I would love some beginner recommendations. I've listened to most of the officially released live shows, as well as the studio albums. I recently came into possession of a hard drive from my Dad's friend with all the Dick's Picks and stuff, so I have access to all of that (isn't the age we live in great?).

Also YES, I have listened to 05/08/77. So no need to tell me to listen to it.

Thanks!
 #124687  by gmchart

Epiphany is a good word for it. Then comes a thirst you just can't quench. These are heady days and I remember mine very well. The only negative for me was that Nixon was President. Always nice to have anew passenger on the bus.
 #124696  by ebick

Welcome aboard

4/3/82- Scarlet->Fire->Estimated->Eyes
4/6/82- Set 2
4/22/83

Some of my favs.
 #124698  by Staemius

Welcome - always good to see another fella from the Tar Heel state. Can't go wrong with the Dick's Picks and there's some great suggestions here. Enjoy! I got into the Dead and guitar at the same time 25 years ago and I remember being thunderstruck with each new tape I found - just great Americana.
 #124711  by jclayky

+1 on the unquenchable thirst.
check out 6-18-74. the whole show is great, but both eyes and morning dew are immaculate
 #124712  by Free Jazz

Sixteen, huh? Then I'd have to recommend getting intimately familiar with the Energy that spans
August thru October, 1968.
You're ready.
Many, many portals await.

Dig.
 #124714  by ebick

like your username, too....btw a 16 yo into the Dead and Zappa.....there is hope.
 #124716  by WildEye

This is a great age we live in, with archive.org and channel 23 on sirius.... Welcome and enjoy the ride... I'm in my 40's and I still get shit from my friends "how can you still listen to soo much dead?".... They are the most recorded band that never plays the same song twice, the same (yeah not exactly true but more than any other band..)
 #124718  by tcsned

ebick wrote:like your username, too....btw a 16 yo into the Dead and Zappa.....there is hope.
Agreed! Welcome aboard!
 #124721  by gr8fullfred

All that I can tell you is that I enjoyed the Watkins Glen Soundcheck Jam also,
except I was there.....................................
 #124844  by Shipofools

Throw the studio stuff away.
MSG 91 run will melt your brain
Deer creek 92
Eugene 94