When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #12434  by Jimkkc

Just listened to the Ryan Adams double album from 2005 - the one with the song Rosebud on it. Am I being naiive, or is that song about Jerry? If it is about Jerry, that song has got to be one of the most spot on "tribute" songs I have heard - understated and not contingent on cliches.

Has anyone else out there (meaning forum readers) written "tribute" songs? I have one that has a verse about Jerry and a verse about Jack Kerouac. I'd like to think the verses are well-done, but that might just be wishful thinking. Working on that song made me realize just how difficult it is to write well when doing a tribute. Not to mention, the difficulty of putting reactions and thoughts about Jerry and Jack into concrete words! Going back to Ryan Adams' song - if Rosebud is about Jerry, then I would have to say it captures the moment moreso than Warren's Patchwork Quilt (another tune I love). Long story short - Rosebud is definitely worth a listen if you have not heard it yet . . .

#12443  by strumminsix

Wow, seems so...

Artist/Band: Adams Ryan
Lyrics for Song: Rosebud
Lyrics for Album: Cold Roses
When I pick up my guitar
This is the song that always comes
Don't know what I'm singing 'bout and
Don't know what for
I think about you
And I think about Rosebud

Wish there was a song to sing
To bring you back
But you can't get here from nowhere I guess
Rosebud's shipwrecked up on the Ohio
Behind a wall of glass
Telling me to take care of myself
And my friends

You sing to a field of trees
And roses singing those melodies
Simple and easy where everything moves
Underneath you
And Rosebud too

I wish there was a song to sing
To get you back
But you can't get here from nowhere I guess
Rosebud's shipwrecked up on the Ohio
Behind a wall of glass
Telling me to take it easy
But I took a photograph
And she's just a wooden machine
But you and Rosebud, you're still singing to me

--------------------------------------------------

From all I've read and known he was and stil is really into the GD. And considering Rosebud is in the Rock & Roll hall of fame in Ohio it makes sense...

Also did a quick google search and found that most people believe this to be the case as well. And he talks to a picture of JG on stage sometimes.

That last part is a bit odd but oh well...

Cool topic!

#12464  by Jimkkc

stumminsix - thanks for the information. The more I listen to "Rosebud," the more I like the song and the more I listen to the album "Cold Roses" the more I like the album.

Some of the guitar riffs are very "Jerry" like - don't know if that is incidental, intentional, or instinctual - but the riff on the song "Cold Roses" definitely sounds like a Jerry concoction.

The albums opening sone "Magnolia Mountain" is also a solid song - one of those songs where the songwriter expresses a common idea in a way that is uniquely individual and universal . . .