lets the rukind.org users talk about their up and coming gigs
 #124225  by tcsned

Hey all,
I'm playing on our local NBC affiliate tomorrow between 11:30-12:00 on their Daytime Blueridge show. I'm playing a benefit Saturday at the Floyd EcoVilliage for the Blue Mountain School with a handful of other local musicians including Kris Hodges founder and president of FloydFest on drums, Dylan Locke Artistic Director of the Jefferson Center and bassist from the Yams from Outer Space, Kerry Hurley founder of the Blue Ridge Blues Society on vocals and yours truly playing some guitar. The party is a Mardi Gras costume ball so were gonna play a bunch of NOLA music. We're doing some promo for the show on Daytime Blueridge tomorrow. It looks like we're gonna do Iko Iko (Dr John's version) and Mardi Gras Mambo tomorrow. I'll sneak some Jerry stuff in where I can :D

I like doing different stuff and it's always good to push yourself out of the rut and do something fresh. I'm getting to play with some awesome musicians and help raise money for a good cause. Tomorrow on live TV will be the first time we get to play together so hopefully all will go well. I'll post some video if we don't tank it :roll:

I think I might talk them into Lovelight and New Orleans (the Gary US Bonds tune the Dead used to do) and Iko Iko. Maybe sneak another tune in there.
Last edited by tcsned on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #124258  by WildEye

Well played tsc... an actual aircheck. :cool: I feel for your drummer (got 2 sick kids right now). It came out good but I have to add I wish the guitar and bass were louder in the mix (but I'm a broken record, I always say that).
 #124259  by tcsned

I was kinda prepared for it since I've done a bunch of theater pit gigs but the volume level that you have to play at for those things is painfully quiet. I could hear my guitar acoustically in that studio. Carlos, the drummer was barely hitting his drums. I was gonna kick in the Mutron on Iko but it sounded like mush at that volume level. I'm looking forward to cutting loose at the benefit Saturday.
 #124261  by Adam Deckard

Hey good stuff! I graduated with Carlos he's a good dude and I played Lacrosse with Hoppy's son Rob who is also a ridiculously good drummer. Hoppy is a trip I've seen him play around town when we lived in Roanoke he's alwyas entertaining. Shame they didn't mic you guys too. Seems like you started gigging in Roanoke a lot more after you moved to Pearisburg, that can't be fun to make that drive every gig? Are you guys (the kind) going to play pink moon this year?
 #124264  by tcsned

Adam Deckard wrote:Hey good stuff! I graduated with Carlos he's a good dude and I played Lacrosse with Hoppy's son Rob who is also a ridiculously good drummer. Hoppy is a trip I've seen him play around town when we lived in Roanoke he's alwyas entertaining. Shame they didn't mic you guys too. Seems like you started gigging in Roanoke a lot more after you moved to Pearisburg, that can't be fun to make that drive every gig? Are you guys (the kind) going to play pink moon this year?
Adam! How's the Left Coast? Yeah, we've been playing the 'Noke a lot more since I moved another 30 miles west - go figure. I think we'll probably do Pink Moon again. Carlos was great - it's cool that you know him.
 #124336  by Adam Deckard

Funny story.. I once approached Hoppy Vaughn about some music theory lessons. He asked about my interests snd i said. "bluegrass and Grateful Dead.. You like em?" he said, "hate em!" lol
 #124393  by ugly rumor

I had the privilege and pleasure of playing with Robert his first time in public. Seems like "I Know You Rider" was on the list! I still have a recording here, somewhere!
 #124399  by tcsned

Here's a pic from the Mardi Gras show. It was a blast we played a bunch of Meters, Dr. John, Nevilles, and such. It was fun to do something different and with a really talented bunch of guys. I hadn't done a gig w/o a rhythm guitarist in a while.