#123827  by oldsmojo

This is an amp I just finished for a customer. It came out amazing. The biggest problems it had, like so many amps I see, are cheap Russian tubes that are on their way out and drifting far apart from each other. Obviously I also did several mods inside and parts upgrades. The original speakers made by Eminence for Fender sound really great. The reverb..just how I like it..long and out of the way of playing. With the right overdrive this thing sounds unreal and takes pedals real well. I will make another clip later with a pair of JBL k120's.

http://tinyurl.com/bz9vwbr I guess you have to open that in new browser...if that doesnt work , search for 'shakedown' 'amps' 'reissue'
 #123832  by NSP

Wow, I think your customer will be pleased. That amp sounds fantastic, as does your playing. Thanks for sharing.
 #123847  by oldsmojo

Thanks for that guys...yeh the customer loved the amp ...very happy ..hopefully for years to come. The mods cost $325 with tubes and reverb tank and New Old Stock caps. Can easily be more, if you want to do NOS preamp tubes and more upgrades.
 #123887  by LAfadeaway

Great video Joe. The amp sounds killer. I guess I really don't care between a modified Boogie or a Fender - just whichever shows up first for a good price. I'll call you to discuss. Best, Mike
 #123900  by rugger

I recall you going over the tone control settings but can't remember if you mention how loud the amp was running--what's the volume set at?

Sounds great, btw.

john in san diego
 #123904  by tigerstrat

Couldn't quite catch what you said about the reverb.
 #123922  by oldsmojo

The amp was running at almost 3...at 4 its gets the best breakup out of those speakers. When I played it w JBL k120s it was too clean and thin and didnt want to tweak and retweak it. I have had some great luck setting up twins to sound good w Eminence and Utah speakers. The Oxfords not so much but similar as long as they arent that old. I usually like to run a .01 at the phase inverter input or higher w/ these speakers to fill em out nicely.
All I said about the reverb is that it is slightly mellowed out w long decay tank and that it doesnt get in the way of your playing even when its turned up. It was up for most of that clip. It really helps give some ambient shimmer thats always slightly present and shows up more when you play harder. Its definitely inspiring and easy to set especially in combination w delay pedals.
So many people have said that you need to have JBLs to get the Jerry tone and that might be true if you are going for exact as you can. While I like them and use them often, they are not ideal speakers as they reveal so many details..and nuances w little breakup and papery tone. They create ear fatigue faster than most other speakers and the beaming highs can get really annoying out in the audience. Bottom line is the amp has to be set up right for them and the playing has to be good! I highly reccommend trying difft speakers out there along with pickups ..guitars..etc. For me, theres so many other gear thats more fun to play than a typical Jerry style rig w jbls. This Idea that you have to have this or that to get this or that is just wrong. Its all in how you use your ears to put your rig together.
 #123925  by Jon S.

I like your tone philosophy. Thanks for sharing all that you have in this thread.
 #123933  by rugger

oldsmojo wrote:I highly reccommend trying difft speakers out there along with pickups ..guitars..etc. For me, theres so many other gear thats more fun to play than a typical Jerry style rig w jbls. This Idea that you have to have this or that to get this or that is just wrong. Its all in how you use your ears to put your rig together.
After putting together "the rig" (jbl's, sms, mac, carvin w/ buffer, obel, pickups, pots etc.) this is quickly becoming my observation as well. While it's fun to have a Tiger era sound (this is when I attended shows), it's just a little too specific for my broader tastes. While not a huge deviation from the accepted norm, I'm quickly becoming addicted to playing my 60's classic players strat with CS '69's through the rig though. Beautiful cleans that aren't quite as harsh. Very reminiscent of the Live at Keystone recordings. I guess in retrospect I probably prefer the 70's tones anyways.

john in san diego
Last edited by rugger on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #123934  by oldsmojo

"like" . Yeah once you get the rig so clean its nice to be able to break up some speakers and its still clean enough to step out and dirty enough to hide in the band mix.
My first custom guitar will be arriving sometime soon. It will have 3 single coils. Going for my favorite Jerry tones of when he played Wolf and TB500 with Singles that measure around 6.1k into a clean rig w slight breakup like the Mesa Mark1.