#123720  by Smolder

I lean towards pro-active on all my amps. Partially because I can do the work and like doing it... but mostly because nothing rattles me more than equipment breaking down (like at a gig). When I replace the caps, check resistors, etc... I'm pretty much assured 10-15 years as worry free as can be expected. I typically even bring a back up amp and extra tubes/fuses. There is enough to worry about...
 #123724  by mijknahs

Oh, I agree with servicing an old amp. But I'd want to try out the amp first to see how it sounds and if any actual repairs might be necessary (like if it can play at full volume or is distorting at low volumes, etc.).
 #123731  by Jon S.

I hear you. But to me, caps especially are parts that you pretty much have to replace periodically because they naturally wear out . Like breaks, belts, and tires, you can push 'em but then you risk them blowing at an especially inopportune time and taking other parts out along with them.
 #123743  by Jon S.

It may be as long as a couple of months but I promise to be thorough when I do and I'll do my best to include clips. :smile:
 #123746  by mijknahs

Jon S. wrote:It may be as long as a couple of months but I promise to be thorough when I do and I'll do my best to include clips. :smile:
Ouch. Man, I'd try it out before sending it out...
 #123761  by Jon S.

If you had my exact same work and family situation and existing rig, you just might also take my approach - send it on it's way and forget about it until it returns.
 #123772  by gr8fl4295

MC50 delivered and dropped off at a audio tech right down the street from me here in Austin. He's been working on Macs for 30 years. Convenient!

They looked at me as if I was out of my mind when I asked them about the mods, IEc power connection and replacing the RCA with 1/4" female jack. They said they would not do it because it would be against McIntosh's blah, blah, blah. And it would severely ruin the resale value, duh.

Anyway, they'll check out the caps, resistors, and transistors and have back to me in a week.

Then, I sit and wait for the SMS to arrive. Gonna be a long 6-8 weeks looking at the Mac all by itself.
 #123780  by Jon S.

You're a lucky man to be able to drop your MC50 off locally. I'm shipping mine cross-country! Then again, the guy working on mine is open to anything I request. (AudioClassics in NY wouldn't agree to my requested mods, either.)
 #123810  by Pete B.

Has anyone contacted Dan Healy about restorations on these amps?
He restored a vintage amp for a local Steel player back in 2007.
Not sure what he's up to these days, but, from the net:
Dan Healy – Repairs and restores radios. “Classic Radio Service”, 25 Maple Rd., Woodacre, CA 94923. 415-488-4596.

Here is the post from the guy who he did the restoration work for:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... ight=healy