#123429  by gpilcher2001

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=FYZd3iwc ... YZd3iwcZOY this is a link to last nights show at sweetwater music hall. What happened to johns speaker cabinet? Isolation box, under the stage, green room, bathroom.... lol. My guess is it is somewhere mic'd up and coming through the wedge on top of his amp.

Does anyone have the same problem I have with sound guy's and my jerryesque rig? I'm always being told to turn down! I only run a 40 watt tube set up! I'm gonna go buy a 50 foot speaker chord and start bringing my powered wedge with me to gigs. A patient sound guy and taking board recordinds from the tape out might just sound good. Greg...

Oh yeah I put this injerry tone cause I didnt know where else to put it. :peas:
 #123450  by strumminsix

gpilcher2001 wrote:http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=FYZd3iwc ... YZd3iwcZOY this is a link to last nights show at sweetwater music hall. What happened to johns speaker cabinet? Isolation box, under the stage, green room, bathroom.... lol. My guess is it is somewhere mic'd up and coming through the wedge on top of his amp.

Does anyone have the same problem I have with sound guy's and my jerryesque rig? I'm always being told to turn down! I only run a 40 watt tube set up! I'm gonna go buy a 50 foot speaker chord and start bringing my powered wedge with me to gigs. A patient sound guy and taking board recordinds from the tape out might just sound good. Greg...

Oh yeah I put this injerry tone cause I didnt know where else to put it. :peas:

I do half my gigs with a HEAVILY modified Deluxe Reverb. 22 watts, 12" speaker. Awesome tone!! Honestly, unless I bring my rack (which doesn't less floorspace than a Twin) I carefully choose which amp to bring:
Pro Jr = jam
Blues Jr = super small room
DR = medium room or when the soundguy mics everything and asks for a quiet stage
Vibroverb = nice big stage with a good medium volume
40W 1/2 Twin = loud and proud, baby!
 #123451  by playingdead

I won't go into the advantages of going direct ... but what I used to do in that situation on small stages was just put the amp in front of me (usually my Vibrolux with K110s), leaning back like a vocal wedge. That way you can hear it perfectly, and it's not projecting out front and killing everybody.

The other thing you can do, which I did recently at a theater gig where I used the other band's Vibrolux instead of my regular rig, is turn the amp down low and have the sound guy crank it up into your vocal wedge, which has the same effect. If you're trying to listen to your own guitar from your own amp behind you, it's going to get way too loud, which drives everybody else's volume higher, which makes you turn up, and on it goes.

Again, I won't go into the advantages of going direct :shock:
 #123453  by ricepr

playingdead wrote:I won't go into the advantages of going direct ... but what I used to do in that situation on small stages was just put the amp in front of me (usually my Vibrolux with K110s), leaning back like a vocal wedge. That way you can hear it perfectly, and it's not projecting out front and killing everybody.

The other thing you can do, which I did recently at a theater gig where I used the other band's Vibrolux instead of my regular rig, is turn the amp down low and have the sound guy crank it up into your vocal wedge, which has the same effect. If you're trying to listen to your own guitar from your own amp behind you, it's going to get way too loud, which drives everybody else's volume higher, which makes you turn up, and on it goes.

Again, I won't go into the advantages of going direct :shock:
Pray tell, what do you use direct? The knees and back just gotta know.....
 #123459  by rugger

ricepr wrote: Pray tell, what do you use direct? The knees and back just gotta know.....
He uses an AxeFX. PlayingDead has posted about his rig many times. A quick search should answer all your questions. Of course, he may just chime in again in this thread. :-)

john in san diego
 #123460  by ricepr

rugger wrote:
ricepr wrote: Pray tell, what do you use direct? The knees and back just gotta know.....
He uses an AxeFX. PlayingDead has posted about his rig many times. A quick search should answer all your questions. Of course, he may just chime in again in this thread. :-)

john in san diego
Ah. Know the unit, its cool, too much $$ for me now, but it is cool!
 #123494  by gpilcher2001

Yeah, I've used jj 6V6'S , 6L6'S, and. Kt88's in my set up. It all comes down to the drummer. One of these days ill know some fellas that will get how cool dynamics can be. Until then hearing loss is gauranteed! Greg...
 #123524  by ricepr

Counterstriker wrote:I didn't check the video out, but i asked jk before about playing smaller shows with furthur or phil and friends and he just uses his gr 55 for amp modeling and it goes direct.
COSM models direct? Proof tone is in the fingers. :-)
 #123536  by jeager

I came very close to pulling the trigger on the fractal last month, expensive maybe but I could sell my pedals, and rack and just about pay it off if you think about it. What held me was that I love the fact that I am using a bunch of analog and tube gear made by small shops in the USA, I know the fractal is US made also but converting my signal to a bunch of ones and zeros...I know it happens on the recording end anyway but it just freaks me out. Still, I might do it some day, so many fewr connections to think about by not having a bunch of pedals etc...it's very tempting just for that reason.