Chat about Equipment Info
 #120366  by Smolder

I'm cheap, so I have the Merit 8x2... a bit more protection than the RP-8 which is basically a power strip in rack mount. You can find them new and shipped with warrantee for $60 on ebay (just bought another yesterday).

There are way better conditioners... but I've never spent the bucks to know if they're worth it.
 #120495  by strumminsix

You should do more research. Years ago I was told that spending less than $150 just bought you a rack mounted power strip with nothing more than standard surge protection.

Don't know if that's still true.
 #120496  by Smolder

strumminsix wrote:You should do more research. Years ago I was told that spending less than $150 just bought you a rack mounted power strip with nothing more than standard surge protection.

Don't know if that's still true.

this one seems to be a favorite amongst guitar players playing live. I've never used one.

http://www.amazon.com/Furman-P-1800-PF- ... ner+furman
 #120521  by ugly rumor

at one time I was in touch with Janet Furman, and she said that after she sold the company quality control suffered a lot. I would try to find an old one made before the sale, which date escapes me now, but I do know that she was very quality concsious.
 #120526  by Jon S.

The ex-owner of the co. said things were better under her ... wow, that's a shock.

Speaking for myself, I'm glad I spent the extra few bucks on the P-1800 AR which is a voltage regulator, not a mere power conditioner. It pays for itself at outdoor gigs where outlets are scarce.

#120537  by ugly rumor

I know, right? shifting production to China and cheaping out on components to make more money probably did improve the product. Old USA quality was never all that, IRC.
 #120545  by zambiland

It depends on what your needs are. The guys are right, most of them are glorified power strips. That said, I have a Furman because I like the lights and the voltage meter. But, for serious electrical issues (like gigs in Nederland), I do use the voltage regulator version (model number escapes me right now). It's an older one. Since I dropped my Lexicon LXP 1 and 5, I haven't really needed but they got squirrely in a hurry when the voltage dropped.

For my location recording, I use a double conversion sine wave UPS. It's crazy heavy and runs off the batteries full time with a brand new sine wave. If power gets funky I have 10 minutes or so to save my files and deal with the power. Luckily, I've never really had to use it since I got it. It has just enough capacity to run my computer and interfaces. For bigger shows, I have a monster double conversion Liebert, but it's too crazy heavy so it stays in the shed.
 #120553  by Jon S.

ugly rumor wrote:I know, right? shifting production to China and cheaping out on components to make more money probably did improve the product. Old USA quality was never all that, IRC.
No one's dissing the good ole USA. On the other hand, nearly all of the bands in my neck of the woods use something by Furman and nothing's failing on anyone that I've ever heard of. There are times to prefer old USA over new imports. IMO, here ain't one of 'em but for sure it's a free country, do what you like.
 #120555  by Smolder

the best way to filter is actually not to filter. Converting AC to DC and then back to AC creates a pure clean wave. That's a pretty big heavy and expensive box. After that, everything is a compromise. In a rock and roll band, I'm not really sure how much clean power is worth... but with any clean amp/mac it's probably more important than with a pointed guitar into an orange driving chainsaw metal.
Last edited by Smolder on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #138778  by Diggey

I know the this is an old thread, but I could use some help. I'm just building a rig and going Rack for the first time. I'm going to go with the Fyd preamp, and likely the Rocktron 300 power amp. I've seen folks here have a power conditioner but not 100% sure I need one....... Or I guess that's my first question, do I need one?

Do I need one right away?

Would you recommend anything else for a setup?

Any feedback on the Furman M-8DX power conditioner?

Thanks in advance
 #138779  by tcsned

I would say they're not essential unless you live or gig in areas with really sketchy power. I live in the mountains of southwest Virginia and have gigged in some really iffy power situations and while we have blown fuses, popped breakers and had voltage drops etc, I have never lost a piece of gear from a power issue. I use a cheap rack power unit that has a voltage meter but it isn't a voltage regulator. More than anything it's convenient to keep all the rack stuff plugged into the same source and not have a bunch of things to plug in every gig. I don't think you're going to increase performance or safety with this over a power strip with a surge protector.
 #138781  by Searing75

I just use the entry level firman stuff. Cheap, and works for me. I have played thousands (well, close to) gigs, and never had an issue.

I can say though, that I would recommend a mcintosh power amp, like the mc50, which you can rack mount in a shallow case. With your fyd pre, you could use a six space and have both in it!

If you can't afford the mc, go with a carvin dcm200l. Great amp, and über clean! Close to Jerry. The rocktron, and you will find many here who agree, is further from the tone you are chasing.

Just my opinion, and opinions are like ass holes. We've all got them, and they're all full of shit! :P

Chris
 #138784  by williamsaut

I use a 20amp Trip Lite power conditioner regulator and run the whole band through it. This will regulate the actual voltage to plus or minus 5-10% or something like that as well as spike protection and noise filtering. This way you can rely on a consistent performance out of the equipment regardless of house line conditions with in reason.

very similar to this one on Ebay now.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... =824&kw=lg