#119395  by PaulJay

Hey Guys, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of Fender '57/62 pickups, for my '78 Greco ash strat w/ maple neck. Looking to get closer to the '72 tone. I know this has been duscussed before and I have done plenty of reading. Just would like to know if anyone is happy with these pick-ups? Wondering if I am making the right choice. Thanks Paul
 #119397  by Tony6Strings

They're good pickups. But, for the early 70's tone IMHO nothing beats the DAllen 69 Voodoo set.
 #119400  by hippieguy1954

Tony6Strings wrote:They're good pickups. But, for the early 70's tone IMHO nothing beats the DAllen 69 Voodoo set.
+1 DAllen Voodoo 69's and a Stratoblaster in a Strat= 72 Jerry tone!
 #119545  by Mosfed

I like the DAllens as well. I've never heard the 57/62s but I have heard good things. The stratoblaster is key
Last edited by Mosfed on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #119546  by Mosfed

I like the DAllens as well. I've never heard the 57/62s but I have heard good things. The stratocaster is key
 #119608  by cmc64

I have been mulling over my choice of pickups for my ash Strat w/maple neck to get (at least pretty close to) the Fall 1977 Wolf tone.

See this thread:

forum/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=12350

Anyway, with a Strat-O-Blaster and the D. Allens if the general consensus is that this combo will get you into the 1972 tonal range should I look towards the Lollar Blackfaces as mentioned in the Wolf 2.0 thread to get that slightly overdriven sound from the Fall of 1977? Or is the key here the Blaster vs. the UGB? The Wolf always had a blaster.

I meant to wrap up this pickup situation way back when but the cash I had went into a JBL K-120 2x12 cab and a Mesa Mark IIB (which I think is actually an A) - regardless the time for a decision has come so... whaddya think? The Blackfaces or the D Allens, Blaster or UGB? - I am thinking Blaster and......
 #119614  by NSP

cmc64 wrote:I have been mulling over my choice of pickups for my ash Strat w/maple neck to get (at least pretty close to) the Fall 1977 Wolf tone. regardless the time for a decision has come so... whaddya think? The Blackfaces or the D Allens, Blaster or UGB? - I am thinking Blaster and......
I'm with the rest of the crowd here, mainly because I have a set in my PRS.....diggin' the DAllens. And as I mentioned in other threads, it was a pleasure doing business with him. I asked a bunch of questions and Dave himself answered them promptly and thoroughly.
 #119617  by PaulJay

I appreciate the feed back on this. I did some further searching of old threads and found out that Waldo recommended fender CS '69's. They seem to have a pinch more output than the '57/'62's. I'm sure the d. allens are great. But I am on a tight budget and I think I am going to go with the Fender '69's. thanks Paul
 #119749  by JonnyBoy

I found the key to getting a good driven tone out of my single coil strat was to boost the signal. I used an LPB1 with mixed results. I had to eq it to get the glass out. I would look into a stratoblaster If i was to do it again. I thinks its hard for us to enjoy that tone out of a twin at the volume Jerry played at. it's simply not enjoyable to play that loud at home. I stopped with the 72 tone obsession a year ago,but kept thinking that also using speakers like d120 power rating and less DB rating that can be pushed easier is important to get that OD/feedbackish tone jerry has in that era with a turn of his volume knob. I never really reaserached what would work tho. It would have to be articulate and clean like a jbl but dirty at the same time. I don't think it exists.

Lately I go for the distortion tone of 1975 GAMH 1 from the vault slipknot solo and it requires 2 pedals to get it for me. So maybe a pedal could easily get that pushed gone without having to drive equipment to glass shattering levels. I would think those fender pickups would be just fine.
 #119752  by barefootdave

Saw UJB inTampa the other night, and he was using dallen Voodoo Blues (not 69) in his wolf. The tone was UNbelievable!

Made a dallen believer out of me.
 #119760  by cmc64

barefootdave wrote:Saw UJB inTampa the other night, and he was using dallen Voodoo Blues (not 69) in his wolf. The tone was UNbelievable!

Maybe I'll check the Voodoo Blues out - as my luck usually goes (when I am about to pull the trigger on something) when I visited the D. Allen site the other night the Voodoo 69's were out of stock.

Thanks for the feedback no the Blues!
 #119847  by JonnyBoy

barefootdave wrote:Saw UJB inTampa the other night, and he was using dallen Voodoo Blues (not 69) in his wolf. The tone was UNbelievable!

If you run into a Keys player Casey Otto in Tampa, Tell him I say hi. He just moved back there from Jackson, he may be trying to join up in a band... He is the shiznit BTW, seriously one of the best musicians I know....

Sorry for hijacking.....
 #119849  by Mosfed

cmc64 wrote:

Maybe I'll check the Voodoo Blues out - as my luck usually goes (when I am about to pull the trigger on something) when I visited the D. Allen site the other night the Voodoo 69's were out of stock.

Thanks for the feedback no the Blues!
He's got 8 sets in stock. Matt Moriarty is building me a Wolf v1.0 and we are using the Voodoo"69s. I have a set in a different strat and love how they sound. The blaster is a very important part of that sound. Been listening to the Europe 72 run more and more because of the box set and that tone is just outrageous
 #119859  by barefootdave

His was a Moriarty Wolf with the Voodoo Blues, and I forgot to mention it has a Blaster in it also.

I have been lusting after a Moriarty for awhile, that was the first one I have ever seen/heard in person. No question now that I will pull the trigger on it sooner or later, probably sooner. The tone was absolutely to die for.

The peacock inlay was fantastic.