#118718  by Mr.Burns

Matt Kelly actually got nut-stomped by Billy K. No exaggeration, there was a lawsuit after the incident that was settled out of court.
Drummers are not to be trifled with.
 #118732  by tcsned

Band politics can be pretty effed up but I would think that if there was a guy who had sued one of your band mates for assault that you wouldn't bring that guy up to play with you. Whoever was at fault it just seems kinda stupid. I've heard that nut stomp rumor too, dunno if that's true or not. It's not setting your band up for success, the result was a predictable train wreck.
 #119005  by jeffm725

I was at that Nassau show show where Mickey was throwing stuff at Kelly, it was insanity. A couple nights later in Portland, Maine Brent was in our hotel room rapping with us all night and we asked him about that (because lets face it, the last place you expect to see that happen is a Dead show!) and he said "Nope, staying out of this one" ...........hahaha.

From what some friends who were on the bill in Kentucky tell me, things were worse than reported, but in case it's not all fact I dont want to spread specifics.

Also, it has been said that he has been VERY surly to his band on Recent tour.
 #119007  by mgbills

I used to trade beer for green room access to some noteworthy bands. Sometimes you find out that it's better to ride on your assumptions of famous people, than to actually know them...or really even try to converse. In some cases it's likely the byproduct of fame...not really needing or wanting to know anyone else. Sometimes famous people are just unpleasant introvert/extrovert assholes.

Just like the rest of us....
Peace
M
 #119019  by Phil Lesh101

I find it funny how he continuously throws them at him, then the guy hands some back to Mickey at the end of the song
 #119050  by TI4-1009

mgbills wrote:I used to trade beer for green room access to some noteworthy bands. Sometimes you find out that it's better to ride on your assumptions of famous people, than to actually know them...or really even try to converse. In some cases it's likely the byproduct of fame...not really needing or wanting to know anyone else. Sometimes famous people are just unpleasant introvert/extrovert assholes.

Just like the rest of us....
Peace
M
This whole thread has got me thinking (never good....). The hero worship thing can lead to blind spots, and I for one have few larger heros than the Dead. I'm also in the middle of Blair Jackson's Garcia bio, and as much as I worship Garcia the guitar hero, I'm coming around to view his personal life as close to what Annabelle eulogized him as- "a shitty father", with very strange views of family and married life. Then you have Phil (and Jill) and that whole trip. Keith and Brent both had their demons. Interesting revelations in this thread about the percussion section.

We're all human, with our flaws.

So sifting everything out, who to my surprise end up being the best babysitter candidate for my kids? Good ol' Bobby! Who knew? Along with maybe Donna and Pig.

What a long, strange trip it's been.
 #119055  by mgbills

Yea T14 ...That is the thing.

Garcia...Unbelievable. Other-worldly player. Inspires us all to the ends of the Earth. Maybe that greatness, by simple time allocation, always comes at a cost.
Who knows. Always heard he could be a brilliant conversationalist. Buddy of mine went to school with Annabelle. Said she didn't even acknowledge her father, and most didn't even know they were related.

Met MG back stage at DSO. Wonderful. Warm. You could see the magic in her eyes.

Who knew ...Mick's a ?ick! To be fair ....perhaps it's better to say "He can be a ?ick." Of course...so can most of us.
Peace
M
 #119059  by tigger

Reading Dark Star blew my mind...haven't read Jackson's book yet but I'm working my way through Parish's at the moment. Very curious as to what he has to say about the final years.