#118190  by tcsned

Hey Jedi,
Here's a video from one of the festivals we played last weekend - the Commonwealths, probably one of the better sounding recordings I have of the Commonealths - it was quite a stage and PA system. You can see the right behind me with the Mac MC2100 on top (Brad's preamp in the rack & Earth Drive in the pedal board). I was cranked pretty fucking loud, the Mac was probably 3/4 of the way up, the speakers never crapped out or even sounded like they were getting strained.

*edit - plus they're like $150 each new*
 #118246  by strumminsix

mijknahs wrote:I bought a Weber Neo Mag and thought it was extremely bright compared to my JBLs. Not really equivalent. I haven't tried an Eminence Commonwealth though.
Which JBLs, Jim? How old since their last recone?

I find speakers open up with age so comparing a new NeoMag D120 clone to a worn in JBL E120 can deliver unexpected results.

That's the first part, though, the Neo is a D120 clone, not E120, so it is meant to emulate the 60s JG JBL speaker tone. That tone isn't for everyone!

I'm be curious how that Commonwealth's ferrite magnet would compare?!
 #118280  by Cowboy Neal

tcsned wrote:Hey Jedi,
Here's a video from one of the festivals we played last weekend - the Commonwealths, probably one of the better sounding recordings I have of the Commonealths - it was quite a stage and PA system. You can see the right behind me with the Mac MC2100 on top (Brad's preamp in the rack & Earth Drive in the pedal board). I was cranked pretty fucking loud, the Mac was probably 3/4 of the way up, the speakers never crapped out or even sounded like they were getting strained.

*edit - plus they're like $150 each new*
Thanks for posting that clip of the Commonwealths, they sound great, but after researching them they might be a little to much for what im going for right now.
 #118286  by Tennessee Jedi

tcsned wrote:TJ - I think that's my favorite sound on the Roland guitar synth.
You are quite creative w/the FX ... Talk Box for Stranger ..... Sitar on St. Stephen ....
And I do love your sound / tone .... hopefully have my cab wired up this weekend !
:-)
 #118288  by mijknahs

strumminsix wrote:
mijknahs wrote:I bought a Weber Neo Mag and thought it was extremely bright compared to my JBLs. Not really equivalent. I haven't tried an Eminence Commonwealth though.

I find speakers open up with age so comparing a new NeoMag D120 clone to a worn in JBL E120 can deliver unexpected results.

That's the first part, though, the Neo is a D120 clone, not E120, so it is meant to emulate the 60s JG JBL speaker tone. That tone isn't for everyone!
I have 2xK120s and 6xE120s. They vary in age and wear but never had to recone any of them. My favorite ones are the ones I've been using regularly for the last 10 years. They are defintely the "warmest" pair but the others are still comparable. I've owned D120's in the past as well.

The Neo Mag didn't even seem like it was in the same "family". Way too bright and no low mids. All my JBLs seem to be warmer and fuller. Maybe if I had a pair of them it would have sounded fuller.
 #118289  by strumminsix

mijknahs wrote:
strumminsix wrote:

I have 2xK120s and 6xE120s. They vary in age and wear but never had to recone any of them. My favorite ones are the ones I've been using regularly for the last 10 years. They are defintely the "warmest" pair but the others are still comparable. I've owned D120's in the past as well.

The Neo Mag didn't even seem like it was in the same "family". Way too bright and no low mids. All my JBLs seem to be warmer and fuller. Maybe if I had a pair of them it would have sounded fuller.
Maybe it was the configuration or the volume or broken in?

Years ago I had a chance to AB D120s vs NeoMags. Sounded as similar as 2 sets of speakers could sound.

I did find the NeoMags to be more forgiving in the bass/low mids right around that point where the fender bass knob either gets boomy or anemic :lol:
 #118313  by mijknahs

tcsned wrote: I was cranked pretty fucking loud, the Mac was probably 3/4 of the way up, the speakers never crapped out or even sounded like they were getting strained.
I can't believe you weren't getting any breakup with the Mac at 3/4 the way up. How did you have the SMS setup? Try it with the pot on the back all the way up and the gain on the front at 12:00 (straight up).

3/4 up on the Mac is way cranked. But that would be lessened if the SMS or your guitar was way down.

Jim
 #118315  by tcsned

The SMS output was cranked, gain about 10 o'clock. My guitar was cranked too. MC2100 was right channel set for stereo. It was loud as hell but I still didn't hear any speaker break up like I did when I was using the TRRI (Jensens?) or my Boogie 2x12. I had the Earth Drive on for the whole tune I linked. Not sure if I have something w/o the ED on. The Bag End cab is a ported closed back not that it would affect break up.
 #118317  by mijknahs

tcsned wrote:The SMS output was cranked, gain about 10 o'clock. My guitar was cranked too. MC2100 was right channel set for stereo. It was loud as hell but I still didn't hear any speaker break up like I did when I was using the TRRI (Jensens?) or my Boogie 2x12. I had the Earth Drive on for the whole tune I linked. Not sure if I have something w/o the ED on. The Bag End cab is a ported closed back not that it would affect break up.
The ported closed back cabinet is probably the difference. From what I understand, a closed back cabinet requires more power to get the same volume level. Are you able to remove the back (or part of the back) of the cabinet? If you are (or if you can get hold of an open back cab), you might hear a big difference in tone.
 #118318  by tcsned

mijknahs wrote:
tcsned wrote:The SMS output was cranked, gain about 10 o'clock. My guitar was cranked too. MC2100 was right channel set for stereo. It was loud as hell but I still didn't hear any speaker break up like I did when I was using the TRRI (Jensens?) or my Boogie 2x12. I had the Earth Drive on for the whole tune I linked. Not sure if I have something w/o the ED on. The Bag End cab is a ported closed back not that it would affect break up.
The ported closed back cabinet is probably the difference. From what I understand, a closed back cabinet requires more power to get the same volume level. Are you able to remove the back (or part of the back) of the cabinet? If you are (or if you can get hold of an open back cab), you might hear a big difference in tone.
I'm gonna leave this one alone but I have another Bag End that I've cut the back out and haven't gotten around to getting another set of speakers and wiring it up yet. I like the tone of the closed back cab though. My Boogie cab is half open half closed and I love that one too.
 #118321  by JonnyBoy

I am glad to see some other people trying them out. Its a great speaker! They are affordable, brand new, and do the jerry thang perfectly. Heavy as all sin just like the E120's too! not that thats a good thing....

Great playing everyone! Tom, your rig is sounding awesome! TJ can't wait to hear your final cab, I too prefer the 2x12 these days same as Jim mentioned... There is a mid boost with two speakers running from the same cab it seems...