#117037  by tommybo

i was recently re-reading some old posts when there in front of my eyes in black and white was the answer i had been looking for. i play thru a fender hot rod deluxe (speaker taken out) thru a commonwealth in a ssp cab---sounds pretty good but something was missing---i used the stock jerry amp settings--treble on 10- mids on 5 and bass on 0-- not entirely happy. so i come across this post "thick and thin" and waldo tells me in 1 sentence everything i've been looking for----treble between 4 to 7 depending on the room- mids cranked all the way and bass up to 3! i'm thinkin what the ----? so i try it----- total bliss --- i'm in jerry heaven- i can'y believe how good it sounds---then sarno further tweaks it and pin points it down to bass-2.3 to 2.5---you guys are right on!!!!!!!! it is very apparent that there is a handful of guys that really know what there talking about--- my suggestion to all the other readers out there---LISTEN TO THEM so to waldo,sarno and the few others THANK YOU!!!!!!
TommyBo
 #117073  by mgbills

That was my experience as well.

When I first found this board, I think I read every post. There were debates on very small details, but through all that reading the core of the Jerry tone question changed very little. As I have built & modified my own equipment, the sound advise found here (and given freely) by Brad, Mike (Waldo), and others has always played out. Even in heated debate (The Waldo/RiverRat/Alligator comes to mind), the core truth seems to win out.

As guitar players ...everyone hears an iconic tone in their head. 99% of Garcia tone building is here from an equipment standpoint... now if only my brain & hands would cooperate ....

:-) Peace & thanks to all.
M
 #117077  by caspersvapors

yea you really just gotta go with what sounds right to you. On my Pro Reverb for instance, after a couple years of fussing I realized that my favorite settings are Treble and Bass around 3-3.5 and the bright switch on. Then again, Im not trying to cop exact Garcia tone. But that sounds best to me and works with my gear and whichever I guitar I plug into it for the most part
 #117914  by Mosfed

Bright switch on?

Really? What do most people do? Using Waldos revised treb : 4-7 mid:10 bass 2-3 I feel like I get pretty close with a coil tapped super 2 or a strat with 60s custom shop pickups. As an amp / pre I am using a Silverface Bandmaster and a 2 x 12 D120 cab

The bright switch is a bit much. What say you?
 #117932  by Tony6Strings

Mosfed wrote:Bright switch on?

Really? What do most people do? Using Waldos revised treb : 4-7 mid:10 bass 2-3 I feel like I get pretty close with a coil tapped super 2 or a strat with 60s custom shop pickups. As an amp / pre I am using a Silverface Bandmaster and a 2 x 12 D120 cab

The bright switch is a bit much. What say you?
I say... At bedroom/apartment appropriate sound levels IE around 2 (I really should get a practice amp, but for the moment my Twin serves as my house woodshedding amp as well as my stage rig), the bright switch can be a nice thing. Actually I think that's why it's on there, to give the amp that zing at lower volumes.
 #117962  by Pete B.

With the Volume on 10, the Bright switch is effectively out of the circuit, wether it's on or off.
If you have a Pre-amp out (so you can control the actual volume with the Power Amp), you can run the amp starting with Volume knob on 10, then bring it down a notch at a time and hear how the Bright switch on/off interacts with Tone at various Volume settings.
 #117971  by Mosfed

I find the bright switch is a bit much at lower volumes or stage volumes. What's the common knowledge on Garcia having used it? I would think no
 #117972  by Pete B.

Some folks find it useful, simple as that.
YMMV.
I've used this example before, but... for example, if I'm playing Jerry stuff at rehearsal volume on a Les Paul with no coil splits, I'm gonna be using the bright switch.
I use it to make sure the wound strings sound right. I hate muddy wound strings.
It really should have been a third button on the Rev/Trem foot-switch, so you can toggle it on off as you play from high to low.
This is also true about the "Range" knob on a MuIII. Shoulda been a foot button.