When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #112548  by jeffm725

Im sure, as Vic related, that there is a level of comfort involved as well,definitely TV nerves in an unfamiliar environment don't help matters. However, it's not like when the TV lights are off he suddenly turns as loquacious and glib as Jerry Garcia. Bobby has never been known as a smooth orator or the master of spontaneous articulations.

Overall, yeah, I mean to me he just has always delivered that way verbally, whether in person, in interviews, or speaking onstage. It's just how he talks.You just could never really tell onstage, because after the first word out of his mouth Healy would bury him in delay weirdness.
 #112554  by old man down

Weir wasn't really that bad. It is a complex subject that he wanted to speak about and he wasn't sure how much his audience needed to hear to be brought up to speed. As he was peeling back the onion he was afraid he would bog things down with too much detail, or make end runs around his subject matter, especially with a lot of umms, ahhs, or voice pitch-changes.

You can hear his nervousness start to creep up on him by the cough tic he developed. He knew he was on Fast Money, where time is money and they want to move things along, and the whole interview started to become one of those situations where after you've spoken you tend to ask things like "Does that make any sense to you?" "Do you know what I mean?"

Rather than ramble away at first, to find his groove and then just speak off the cuff, he chose instead to select his words too carefully. Then he was in trouble. But he had help readily available. Once the other guy took over for a minute, Weir was able to get his bearings and carry on from there just fine.

Happens to everyone who has an important meeting with people they are meeting for the first time. I've been in this situation many times myself, and it can be a rough patch to get through, which is why it always helps to have a tag team approach. You says a few things, then your friend talks a little while you regroup, then you talk while he regroups, and before you know it, others join in the conversation.
 #112556  by jahozer

Bobby suffers from debilitating dyslexia. I think that has much to do with his manner of speaking. I have a family member who speaks the same way. Smart guy, just cant talk.
I get that way sometimes. I do the same space out on lyrics, and sometimes I can talk/play/sing my ass off. Other times my brain revolts and stops me. I stammer, forget what Im saying etc.

I feel for him. Hes intelligent and a nice guy, and you can tell, but most people will just write him off as a druggie. If it were the acid, then Kesey, Jerry, Timothy Leary, and any number of people from that time and place would do the same kind of stutter.

Unless coke doesnt count, bob didnt stop doing drugs "by choice"! Hes probably pretty clean these days, but I wouldnt bet on that say, 10 years ago. Remember when he was "exhausted"? :lol:
 #112579  by Chuckles

Classic case of a guy with a LD (Not a typo: Learning Disability, not LSD) background and a brilliant mind. Probably over-analyzes what he's about to say. And also knows that he might have a penchant for going off on tangents so tries to formulate his thoughts on the fly while trying to moderate them at the same time. Such is the price of genius. Einstein had the same problem.

FWIW I cringed when I watched it live... Then it hit me where he was coming from. In the end, he made all the salient points he needed to.

The sycophants in the studio couldn't have helped matters with their babbling about playing drums and so forth.
 #112583  by eric

The guys on CNBC are constantly making Dead references .. And Im not talking only about Liesmann ..
... Sometimes very obscure, sometimes very openly. I've seen multiple anchors on multiple segments reference the dead.. They weren't pandering to Bob ...they really are huge fans ..They have even gone as far as to call each other by thier "inside" dead-inspired nicknames at times ... Hilarious !
 #112897  by gr8fullfred

Interestingly enough, Bobby sounds pretty articulate in this vid about 3:12:

#113303  by ebick

gr8fullfred wrote:Interestingly enough, Bobby sounds pretty articulate in this vid about 3:12:
.....and on this one.....

#113306  by hippieguy1954

What's with the sports jackets these days? :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #113307  by TI4-1009

OK, let's add the dyslexia....
 #113309  by strumminsix

TI4-1009 wrote:OK, let's add the dyslexia....
You're joking right? He's suffered for years.