Chat about Equipment Info
 #108497  by TI4-1009

I got my lefty Tiger from Phil on Thursday. It's not totally complete- I had ordered it without electronics- I wanted to do that part, plus I asked him to send it after the finishing was done, but before he had added all the parts. After 15 months I had just run out of patience. I was fine with Phil, his communication was always good, but there were a lot of delays and I finally just asked for it as it was. He sent all the brass parts, still sending me a lefty tiger plate, brass nut, straplocks, but I have all the electronics to work on, so not critical.

I am astounded with what I received. Way beyond what I ever thought I would have. If you read my story on the "which replica" thread, I started out thinking about a Warmoth WGD. "You've come a long way baby!" I'll post more as I get the work done, but here's a taste. Looks like the images got chopped, use the tricks to see the full thing. Thank you Phil, worth the wait (easy to say now...)

#108499  by Jimaroe

From one lefty to another, that is one sweet looking guitar! Congrats!
 #108516  by drewfx

Wow. That looks really sweet!
 #108532  by mijknahs

I like the two-tone (orange) Tiger!
 #109605  by guitarcats

That sure looks pretty sweet :cool: When do you think you will have it finished? Please post more pics when it is done and maybe some video clips. Enjoy!
 #109606  by TI4-1009

Thanks. Cavities shielded, pickups and buffer in, strung up! I soldered the control wiring in a jig tonight and should get them in over the weekend. Will post pics soon.
 #109666  by rkubik

I have always loved the back inlay on the tiger and I would have to say that Phil did an excellent job on it. Congrats and I wish you the best in your playing endeavors looks like you got a gem. Also, have to add I love the two tone tiger. I always admire the craftsmanship of the stuff on this site. Just a great resource.
 #109738  by TI4-1009

Electronics done and actually work! I'll shoot some "beauty shots" later, but here are the electrical photos. Three coats of shielding paint, copper foil in buffer cavity. I fabricated a bracket for the Waldo buffer out of some aluminium edge trim from Lowes. I set up all the controls on a cardboard jig and did most of the soldering on that before finishing up in the cavity- much easier to get at.

I plugged it in and was astounded to find that everything worked! No hum whatsoever. I'm still a little unsure of the lefty aspects of pots. You can buy some basic 250 and 500 pots as lefty, but unless you can get all three (four) needed for this application, some pots would work reverse of others, so I wired it standard. I'm used to it after years of buying "lefty" guitars on which the controls don't work "just exactly right". I will admit that it is one of my better soldering jobs.

Thanks to everyone on this site who has posted cavity photos and wiring diagrams- most obviously Waldo.

I have a little basic set-up work to do, but getting the electronics wired right and working has been on my mind for over a year, so over a big hump today.

#109745  by guitarcats

HOLY SH@#!!! Im drooling over here :hail: If you dont post a YT clip soon I'm gonna put a hex on ya. JK that looks great!
 #109777  by lightningbolt

That's awesome. I can tell you first hand that I love my Phiga and have been itching to have Phil build me a Wolf. Looking at your pics is gonna make that happen even sooner. Can't wait to hear it.

#110095  by TI4-1009

Some better higher res, natural light photos:

I got some beefy brass nut blanks and will get to work on a scalloped one for the Tig. Notice Phil even did a reverse eagle and vine for the lefty!

Finally tried the envelope filter through the OBEL- much nicer, really lets it open up.
Last edited by TI4-1009 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #110101  by mijknahs

You are a happy camper!
 #115639  by TI4-1009

Got my lefty Tiger plate from Phil, tyedye from Courtenay (see more on that in the Cabinets section), ebony truss rod cover is on the way from Shark. I'm making a scalloped brass nut and working on engraving skills to do the 22nd fret commemoration. Getting there.

#115641  by mgbills

Very Nice!
It is astounding to me that anyone could play a guitar that's backwards! Yikes. Hurt thinking about it.
Congratulations.
M