#105157  by Grateful Dad

Grateful Dad wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:Is that Keith ?
Looks like Keith and possibly the X-Pensive Winos? :idea:
Upon furthur review it's Keith Richards, Robbie Shakespeare and Peter Tosh, backstage at the Bottom Line in New York in 1979.
 #108163  by jester536

Anyone have any detailed info on the Super 88's. Just picked up a MC200 on Ebay...each pickup is missing a screw...that I'm assuming levels the pickup. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Want to try the Super 88's first...then I might think about modding this guitar to another Garcia guitar. Would this be a guitar that one should worry about preserving as vintage....thoughts?
 #108168  by alcorelectric

jester536 wrote:Anyone have any detailed info on the Super 88's. Just picked up a MC200 on Ebay...each pickup is missing a screw...that I'm assuming levels the pickup. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Want to try the Super 88's first...then I might think about modding this guitar to another Garcia guitar. Would this be a guitar that one should worry about preserving as vintage....thoughts?
What do you need?
I might be able to help you out
T
 #108188  by jester536

jester536 wrote:What do you need?
I might be able to help you out
T
Thanks man. I've got an MC200(right handed)...the top edge of the pickups has 2 screws. Each pickup is missing the screw on the front corner. Both pickups are tilting back quite a bit. I'm assuming that screw will correct that. All of them are looking a bit old and rusty. Would probably like to switch them all out. Could just go to a hardware store and hope for the best but would like to find if there is a place to purchase replacements. the pickup selector switch is a little "funny"...wouldn't mind replacing that...again with something authentic.
I'm presently torn about what I want to do with this guitar. Do I preserve it and restore to original...or do I switch out the pickups...drop a super 2 in the center with coil splitting and make another Garcia guitar...but I'm definitely not going to switch the stuff out until I get a good bit of time with the Super 88's set up properly. Any thoughts you have on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
 #108190  by alcorelectric

Heres the screws you need:
http://www.reproguitarparts.com/
He can also set you up with "Faux" 88 covers that you can put your PU of choice into
As far as 88s are concerned
They are ceramic like the Super IIs
Approx 8.5k ohms similar to super IIs
I have a set of Super IIs I dont have any use for if you decided to go that route
My personal opinion: I like the 88s more than the Super IIs
But, It may have been my cap values that soured my taste
HTH
T
 #108192  by milobender

Just an aside here... concerning the Ibanez 'brass' nut...

I owned/played an Ibanez Artist 2700, a sort of 'pre-musician' series, with all the musician series stuff including the brass/bone nut, for over 20 years. I never liked the sharp quality it had, it was more brittle than pleasingly sharp... anyway, I just did a Musician 200 makeover, and the nut was obviously causing problems, and the guitar had that same bodyless sharp quality. When I knocked the nut out, the two halves fell apart; the glue holding them together had failed, and the 'nut' was actually just the 1/16" +/- piece of brass, causing loss of sustain and 'body' to the tone... The owner of the guitar wanted to stay with the brass (I was previously convinced that bone was better... ) so I made a solid brass nut instead of the half and half that it came with. Man, the tone was MUCH better. The solid brass was a totally different world than the stock sandwich nut... makes me wonder why they bothered with it that way. It could have been ease of nut cutting, the solid brass is a bit harder to work with...

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Brian
 #108221  by GeneralGoldilocks

another interesting thing about the super 88's, and i may be wrong here, but it seems like the ones that came in the mc200 were not wired like modern 4 conducter pickups, where you can coil tap and reverse phase, like a super 2 for instance. but the mc 300 and better i would assume have the 4 conductor wiring to get the "tri sound" out of them. i have been told you can take any humbucker and wire it for coil tapping but it is not easy. having owned musicians with super 88's (tri sound and just humbucker), super 77's (in an mc150), and used the musician with super 2's, i would say the super 88's are very vintage sounding, and the super 2's more modern, if that makes any sense. the super 88's sound warmer and fuller while the super 2s sound brighter and cut through the mix better, more like a strat, say. the super 77's were somewhat gibsonesque, i would say. i agree with brian, the brass bone nut can really over brighten the tone, and can lead to icepicky highs and some volume spikes if you aren't super smooth in your attack, although i have only tried one brass bone nut in the three musicians i have owned.
 #108222  by alcorelectric

GeneralGoldilocks wrote:another interesting thing about the super 88's, and i may be wrong here, but it seems like the ones that came in the mc200 were not wired like modern 4 conducter pickups, where you can coil tap and reverse phase, like a super 2 for instance. but the mc 300 and better i would assume have the 4 conductor wiring to get the "tri sound" out of them. i have been told you can take any humbucker and wire it for coil tapping but it is not easy. having owned musicians with super 88's (tri sound and just humbucker), super 77's (in an mc150), and used the musician with super 2's, i would say the super 88's are very vintage sounding, and the super 2's more modern, if that makes any sense. the super 88's sound warmer and fuller while the super 2s sound brighter and cut through the mix better, more like a strat, say. the super 77's were somewhat gibsonesque, i would say. i agree with brian, the brass bone nut can really over brighten the tone, and can lead to icepicky highs and some volume spikes if you aren't super smooth in your attack, although i have only tried one brass bone nut in the three musicians i have owned.
Are you certain the MC150 came w/ 77s?
All the info I have is they came w/ 88s or Super 58s
BTW The 88s are modified Super 80s
Likewise the 77s are modified super 70s
The S70s are Alnico VIII
7.9k ohm range
T
 #108228  by GeneralGoldilocks

"Are you certain the MC150 came w/ 77s?
All the info I have is they came w/ 88s or Super 58s"

yup, your right, they were super 58's and not super 77's. sorry, it's been awhile since i owned that guitar.
 #133127  by JRogers71

Hi, I have an MC300 that I have done some restoration work on , new bridge , block . I agree with previous posts about the harsh, sharp quality that can sometimes come out of this guitar. I am changing the nut, going to try a graphite nut but my real question is about the wiring. There is one cap between the neck pickups volume and tone and no cap on the bridge pickups. Does anyone know what an appropriate cap might be used in the mc300, also there is a white wire coming out of the input jack that has been clipped, I don't know where it might have gone. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.