When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #105898  by 600lbsofSin

If you can wrap your mind around the CAGED theory, and learn how to apply it, you will learn how basically all chords are the same, just played in different positions around the neck. Here are 6 different ways to play a B maj chord:

x24442 (A form)

x6444x (G form)

xx4477 (G form)

799877 (E form)

xx9(11)(12)(11) (D form)

x(14)(13)(11)(12)(11) (C form)

So essentially, you can move the 5 major open chord shapes all around the neck, and your index finger becomes like a capo, barring the open strings. There are many more possibilities, and it takes a little know-how to apply these shapes most effectively, but I hope this gets you starting to think about the fretboard with a new perspective.

Tommy
 #106057  by mtjam

I used to also hate playing the B barre chord but soon realized if I wanted to play Dead songs I'd better just suck it up. Now I really enjoy this chord and just moving up and down the neck to hit C, D and E gives me more flexibility than open chords. Keep at it, it will happen.
 #106058  by tigerstrat

xx9877
 #106059  by vwjodyme

tigerstrat wrote:xx9877
speaking of this, it looks like Jerry played the lower part of bar chords a lot, but sometimes he appears to be reaching his thumb around to grab the low e. Is that how he always played bar chords or does it just look that way?
it is sooo much easier for me to play it the regular way :lol:
 #106061  by vwjodyme

and to the OP; when i play B in open position i just play like a powerchord and use my index finger on second fret A string and lay my ring finger over 4th fret of the rest of the strings, but muting the high E. it's probably cheating but works for me 8)
 #106065  by gr8fulbluz

I think the OP is a spam-er. pretty sure.

but nothing wrong with a little technique discussion in spite of the spam. CAGED for the win.

But my favorite chord is the C Minor
just kidding i dont play favorite with my chords ; - }
 #106068  by 600lbsofSin

gr8fulbluz wrote:I think the OP is a spam-er. pretty sure.

but nothing wrong with a little technique discussion in spite of the spam. CAGED for the win.

But my favorite chord is the C Minor
just kidding i dont play favorite with my chords ; - }
That would make sense. Im a newb around here, I thought the post seemed strange, but I figured I could spark a useful conversation from it.

oddly enough tho, b chord also posted in the recent R Waters post however, which made me think he was real...
 #106083  by vwjodyme

Yeah, i originally thought it was spam, but clicked the link after people started responding. It actually takes you to a lesson on the correct way to play a b chord...i was waiting for a virus :lol:
 #106089  by gr8fulbluz

I am probably wrong, just suspicious about the post with the link at the end. But since it is a link to a guitar learning course, what te hay. It could be the most popular course ever. Rock on.

The 'outube account associated with the link seems to be beginner lessons. found here > >basic chordz stuff

so it is good stuff and no worries. And if it sparks a learning discussion here all the better for my fellow heads.
 #106096  by 600lbsofSin

Tennessee Jedi wrote:why fret the whole chord anyway - leave room for the other players
:smile:
When I figured this out it opened so many new doors. You start to see simple chord progressions as having endless possibilities. I dont really worry about the name of the chord anymore (Bmaj, F#m) its more about what shape I want to try and how I want to use it.

Another interesting thing too is how each shape has different qualities. Like the G form, which has kind of a funk quality. A form is more direct. E form is very confident (and often overused out of lack of knowledge). C and D forms interlace nicely and have a real pretty sound.

Now when you combine these notions you quickly learn how to develop a swirling, energetic jam out of something that once seemed stale. This is one of the big things that got me really in love with the Dead. I realized how much I could learn from them.
 #106106  by Octal

600lbsofSin wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:why fret the whole chord anyway - leave room for the other players
:smile:
When I figured this out it opened so many new doors. You start to see simple chord progressions as having endless possibilities. I dont really worry about the name of the chord anymore (Bmaj, F#m) its more about what shape I want to try and how I want to use it.

Another interesting thing too is how each shape has different qualities. Like the G form, which has kind of a funk quality. A form is more direct. E form is very confident (and often overused out of lack of knowledge). C and D forms interlace nicely and have a real pretty sound.

Now when you combine these notions you quickly learn how to develop a swirling, energetic jam out of something that once seemed stale. This is one of the big things that got me really in love with the Dead. I realized how much I could learn from them.
Rock guitar players often aren't piano players--funny isn't it?
 #106108  by 600lbsofSin

Yea I play a little piano and it definitely keeps me thinking about how tones fit together in interesting ways. It gives you a better understanding of inversions too. I like the metaphor of two guitarists being like the left and right hands of a pianist. When that collective psychic connection forms the music comes to life.

I am starting to scratch the surface of chord substitutions too :cool:
another great way to make things interesting...