#105285  by jahozer

We were at the AC show as well. A little furthur back, so the sound was a bit low. Anyway, a cover band, a very good one btw, (Steal Your Face) was at the Hard Rock afterwards and they had the Jerry art exhibit. They had that brief case there. It was for sale for I think it was 12K. It had his picks and some comic books in it. I cracked up when there was a large zip lock bag in the back pocket of it!

I met Phil once. Seemed nice, but we didnt get to talk much. I dont really get star struck but I feel awkward when I talk to celebs. I kinda dont want to bother them, but at the same time I want to interact with them. I feel like Chris Farley, "remember that chord you played in Slipknot? That was great!" I guess they like talking about gear and stuff rather than hearing how great they are, though.
 #105290  by jeffm725

Haha, the briefcase!!!

Was gonna try and keep quiet on this thread as Ive met Jerry, Bobby, and Brent (who spent the whole night of my 18th Birthday in my hotel room partying after the 3/31/85 - Portland Maine show with me and my friends) and I didn't want to sound like one of those guys who lives to tell these stories, because almost all these meeting were chance and very lucky, as I was (and still am), a nobody. However the Briefcase brings out a specific funny story!!

Jerry carried that sawed off briefcase everywhere!
Show in hartford in 88, we left during the US Blues encore and went back to the hotel. We were there not but a minute when the Band vans pulled up at the lobby door. Those guys were in the vans while the amps were still ringing the last note! Jerry and some security guy got out of the first van and did this walk/sprint through the lobby (for a big guy Jer was FAST-haha). They were waiting at the elevator with us, and Jer had the sawed off guitar case and I said something stupid like "how do you fit a guitar in that thing, is it heavy? " and Jer said "Why? You want to carry it upstairs for me"? And before I could answer my friend (who was always fearless and obnoxious, a dangerous mix ) said, "Fuck you, carry that thing yourself, what are you, Lazy!" Jerry actually got a big chuckle out of that and then the elevator doors opened and the security guy got in with Jerry and we went to get in too, but the security said "sorry guys, catch the next one" and they rode up alone.
About 5 minutes later we were still waiting on an eleavtor when one opens and it is the same security guard who said, jerry thinks you guys are funny and you are invited to his suite!

Wish the rest of the story was as cool. We went up to his suite sat there for almost an hour, he was locked in his bedroom portion, and after an hour of waiting for him, security guy says "jerry's sorry, but he is real tired and would like to do this another time. We were then shown the door.
 #105292  by ebick

jeffm725 wrote:Wish the rest of the story was as cool
That's ok, cuz this right here...
jeffm725 wrote:my friend said, "Fuck you, carry that thing yourself, what are you, Lazy!"
That's some funny shit!
 #105293  by vwjodyme

I saw john and phil at the last Furthur Vegas shows. I feel really uncomfortable approaching them thinking that they don't want to be bothered so I just nod or smile at them and let them go along their way. My buddy I was with is the opposite. He feels that if they didn't want to be bothered they wouldn't go out or at least try to hide their identity so he ran up to both to talk and got a pic with Phil. i am super bummed I didnt do the same. Probably never get another chance like that.
 #105295  by playingdead

You never know ... that kid getting his picture taken with the older rock star could wind up being more famous someday.

#105300  by dleonard

jeffm725 wrote: We went up to his suite sat there for almost an hour, he was locked in his bedroom portion, and after an hour of waiting for him, security guy says "jerry's sorry, but he is real tired and would like to do this another time. We were then shown the door.
Think he was using in there? I thought he was clean during that period (87-89)
 #105303  by jeffm725

dleonard wrote:
jeffm725 wrote: We went up to his suite sat there for almost an hour, he was locked in his bedroom portion, and after an hour of waiting for him, security guy says "jerry's sorry, but he is real tired and would like to do this another time. We were then shown the door.
Think he was using in there? I thought he was clean during that period (87-89)
don't know....he would chip on and off, I don't think anyone truly knows when he was on and when he was off, besides the very obvious ON times. (Fall 84 anyone?)...... there were times were many though he was clean that he would just use on tour. Manasha (his girlfriend at the time) was around a lot then though, she had a reputation on tour for being kinda kooky, for all I know she could have been in the room with him.
 #105312  by playingdead

For an unflinching, disturbing and very enlightening look at Garcia, read "Dark Star: An Oral Biography of Jerry Garcia." Verbatim quotes tracing his life from childhood till his death, from those who knew him personally, including his brother, ex-wives, girlfriends, managers, close friends, crew, band insiders ... a totally absorbing read.

It's a dark look at a very, very complicated man. No one really understood him, and he seemed to enjoy confounding everybody. The cover image is apt.

#105363  by seamones

It's nothing, but it still makes me smile to think about it:

We skipped out during Liberty at RFK 93. As were just about out of the stadium, a cop comes out of nowhere, puts his arms up and stops us. There is a bunch of sirens and the girl I was with looks down to avoid seeing the ambulence or whatever. But after a motorcycle cop, it was Jerry in plain old white window van smiling and waving to us.
 #105371  by ebick

A buddy of mine and I went down to WPLR in New Haven where Jerry was doing an interview before a show at the Coliseum. Saw him as he left, said hi and thanks. Ended up driving along side him as we headed to the ol' barn.

Was hanging out outside the Hult Center in Eugene after one of the shows in '83. Out of nowhere, a group of folks included Bobby comes walking by.

And there you have my brushes with Grateful greatness.
 #105372  by HeadSpace

In a previous life I was a journalist and was on the staff of a weekly news magazine based in New York. The magazine was working on a special issue that was to be a sort of oral history covering various significant cultural milestones in American history. I suggested that I should interview a member of the GD about the Haight Ashbury scene in the 60s, and the editors went for it. I called Dennis McNally (whose business card with skull & roses logo I still have) and he set me up with Mickey, who happened to be in NYC promoting a Planet Drum book/CD. Met him at one of the 48th street music stores--Manny's or Sam Ash, forget which, and we walked up the block to a bar/restaurant in Rockefeller Center, where I interviewed him for an hour or so.

He was very friendly, and a great storyteller. A couple high points stick out in my memory.

1) This was after Jerry's death, and Mickey's mixed emotions about Jerry were clear. He loved the guy, certainly, but was very definitely pissed off at his late bandmate. He said something like "Everybody talks about how smart Jerry was, but he's dead. He killed himself basically. That doesn't seem so smart to me."

2) Grace Slick had just put out a memoir and in it she had written something about how she always regretted that she'd never gotten it on with Mickey. Well, he was outraged (half kidding, half serious). He insisted he had in fact made it with Grace Slick--more than once, I think. How could she not remember?

Anyway, the oral history project died on the vine as I recall, so the interview never saw print, but it was great fun to chat with Mickey, who, as I said, was very gracious and entertaining.
 #105383  by jahozer

Thats pretty funny that Micky is unmemorable in the sack!