#105239  by Billbbill

strangely I'd never truly worked this up - until the last couple of days. Always loved it yet barely played it - think I messed with it a bit a long time ago - this was in my car during lunchtime! Had planned to do it in the park I was at but it's in the flight pattern for nyc airports! Couldn't compete! Needs some polishing but whatever!

#105260  by gr8fulbluz

Total fun thanks for the vid, i needed that.

as an aside, I have considered a travel guitar many times, just i dunno never seemed like the right time?

I have mixed memories of that song but time seems to have healed some of the bad memories, cool. I like it.
 #105271  by Billbbill

Thanks for the kind words folks!
PaulJay wrote:Wow goose bumps!
doesn't get any better than that! :smile:
vwjodyme wrote:Would love a lesson if you have the time :hail:
Ironically I did recently start giving a guy some lessons - hard to find the time though. And you're in Mass? Yikes! :-)
gr8fulbluz wrote:I have mixed memories of that song but time seems to have healed some of the bad memories, cool. I like it.
Yea, this can really pluck those heart strings - evokes much in me as well. What I take out of rh's lyric is that we must persevere through all that we encounter and that in the end we must be comfortable and confident in and of ourselves. While we are all part of a larger family and it's ideal to have the love and support of others, in the end there may be times when it at least seems that all you have is you.
 #105278  by vwjodyme

Billbbill wrote:

Ironically I did recently start giving a guy some lessons - hard to find the time though. And you're in Mass? Yikes! :-)
I meant a quick video lesson, but if you are willing to give personal lessons and drive to mass for free than I'm on board :lol:
 #105282  by Billbbill

vwjodyme wrote:
Billbbill wrote:

I meant a quick video lesson, but if you are willing to give personal lessons and drive to mass for free than I'm on board :lol:
Ha! Shoulda knew that! :-) I'll at least try to get tab for the verse from the beginning of the verse to the 1st position D chord - that's the real meat and potatos of this - you may be able to fill in the blanks with the tab and vid together.

It all revolves around the A chord with the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th making up the melody and the A at the end before it drops back to first position - and I drone the open A as well. I'm actually closer to fingering the 1st position C chord up on the 4th fret, thus an E chord, than an A chord. I'll try to get it posted in the next day or 2.
 #105284  by vwjodyme

Cool! Much appreciated!
I've been singing the tune in my head (and out loud while outside) all last night and this morning
 #105286  by Billbbill

vwjodyme wrote:Cool! Much appreciated!
I've been singing the tune in my head (and out loud while outside) all last night and this morning
:-) It is infectious!
 #105288  by Billbbill

Code: Select all
(/) Slide Up  (\) Slide Down  (h) Hammer On  (p) Pull Off  (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

A                                        D
E|-----------------
B|-------------5--5--5--5--5--5--5-----------3-------3----2-
G|--------2--4/6--6--4--6--7--6--4h6p4-------2--2---------2-
D|--2--4--------------------------------5----4-----4---4--2-
A|-------------0--0--0--0--0--0--0-----------0------------0
E|-----------------
							http://www.guitartabcreator.com
So after the walkup you see the 5 on the B and the open A drone for a bit. I use my middle finger on the B|5. Then the index finger, ring and pinky work the G| 4, 6 & 7 in that order - index/4, ring/6 and pinky/7. And the pinky takes the D|5 just before dropping back for the D chord. I flat pick the open A and use my middle and ring fingers for the G and B strings. The whole thing may be awkward at first but keep working it. Then in the lead (where I f'd up a bit!), or wherever, you can also hammer on and pull off the G| 6,7 for a little different flavor.

On the first G|4 (the slide up to the 6) you have to work on voicing that G|6 that you slide up to at the same time as you pluck the B|5 and A|0. A bit tricky but nothing a bit o' practice can't overcome.

Any questions or other stuff let me know!
 #105289  by Billbbill

Ftr I should say that the few vids i watched for this didn't show much other than Jerry going up the neck for this line - I'm guessing where I'm at is correct!
 #105369  by Billbbill

vwjodyme wrote:what are the rest of the chords rounding out the first loop after the A? Looks like hammer 0-2 into F#, E, then back to the D? hard to tell for me
thats
g-2-1----
d-----4-

the 4 being the F#m to an E- Esus4- E to D