#105132  by 13pointkid

Hello, i just picked up an ibanez 2681 that is super beautiful but needs some work. The electronics have been hacked up and only one original pickup remains (the other is some kind of bill lawrence).
So I'm thinking about putting in some virtual PAFs as well as some kind of active EQ.

first: Is it possible to get a hold of an ibanez EQ system from the 70's without buying a parts guitar?
------does anyone make a clone for this system? whats the deal?

second: Has anyone tried the bartolini EQ stuff? I've heard weir used bartolini stuff at some point i think. I'm wondering how it might sound with the dimarzios..... sterile? crispy, clear?

third: anyone hav experience putting a waldo buffer after an active EQ system? any ideas/opinions?

One more thing: the 2681 control cavity looks a bit tight. has anyone had luck stuffing it with electronics?

thanks Kinders!
 #105148  by 13pointkid

hey mk, i saw the "new toy" post concerning your pedal with the eq and the waldo buffer installed. hows that working out? also, how does the replacement board sound compared to the original ibanez stuff?
 #105198  by mkaufman

My 'outboard' Ibanez EQ box is great. Currently, I'm only using the EQ as I don't use effects. It's perfect w/ my Poor Man's Cowboy. I use it to cut all highs and lows.

Sorry, I have no personal experience with the replacement parts.

mk
 #105220  by zambiland

I have a 2681 (or whichever it is without the vines). I was on a kick of building different preamp designs, so I put one of Craig Anderton's Clarifiers in there. It's basically a buffer with a 2 band EQ built onto a piece of perfboard. It's really tight, but it fits and sounds pretty good, although it has monstrous gain. I also have a Bartolini Hi-A strat pickup in the middle position, closer to the bridge pickup. It sounds really cool, but it's kind of noisy, so usually I stick with the original humbuckers, which are plenty bright.

Very cool guitar that doesn't get much playing time these days (mostly my franken Tele or my '56 ES140T get played).