#103181  by deadagainband76
 Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:19 pm
Pete B. wrote:I think the K's have the tonal edge for the Jerry G factor for the [lower] volume range I like these days.
I agree, I wish we could define what these volume ranges are. I think the vast majority of us are playing in the same range. Either way I love JBLs.
 #103184  by Pete B.
 Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:52 am
deadagainband76 wrote:
Pete B. wrote:I think the K's have the tonal edge for the Jerry G factor for the [lower] volume range I like these days.
I agree, I wish we could define what these volume ranges are. I think the vast majority of us are playing in the same range. Either way I love JBLs.
I'm generally talking about a volume range where I don't need earplugs in my ears to play with a guit/bass/drums trio, and my ears don't ring after playing.
I power one K-120 with one side of a MC-250, and rarely turn it up past 12 o'clock.
 #103400  by deadagainband76
 Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:30 am
For the most part, it seems that people enjoy the Ks for lower volumes and the Es for cutting higher volumes. I like them both!
 #103401  by mijknahs
 Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:36 am
Well, since you have 2 sets of each, you should be educating us on how they work for you.
 #103997  by Jerry1996x
 Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:56 am
Just re-read this thread. Now im leaning more towards Ks. Hard Truckers cab shipping tomorrow! Since I dont play at ear splitting volumes, and half my playing is done at home without the band, now i think the Ks will work better for me, since you dont need to push them as hard to get that sweet sound. Although... I do like the 80s tone..... :?
 #103999  by JonnyBoy
 Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:19 am
Just blew my Peavy Black Widdow, I think I will be sticking to the power ratings of the E120's. Granted I was using it as a 1x12, so it got the full power of the amp. I think it was rated at 150 watts. I am running about 80 watts SS power amp and gain 5-6 on an SMS. Be careful (~):).
 #104024  by deadagainband76
 Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:06 am
Im running my cabinet with K120s on top and the e120 cab on the bottom. Obviously I hear the ks better because they are closer to ear level. I will probably reverse the cabs when gigging because the ks do tend to break up a little quicker and easier. Sometimes a little to much for me. But i guess if I back off the gain a bit and use more volume from my poweramp I could take care of that. Many different combinations to try out.
 #104131  by sants
 Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:31 am
I used to to run my cab with one 120 on top and one e120 on bottom. It was very organic and had an sweet acoustic quality to it. My musical direction has changed so I am not using that setup anymore but it sounds sweet. The e120 had the stronger bottom end and the k cut through out of the top.
 #104134  by mijknahs
 Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:27 am
deadagainband76 wrote:Im running my cabinet with K120s on top and the e120 cab on the bottom. Obviously I hear the ks better because they are closer to ear level. I will probably reverse the cabs when gigging because the ks do tend to break up a little quicker and easier. Sometimes a little to much for me. But i guess if I back off the gain a bit and use more volume from my poweramp I could take care of that. Many different combinations to try out.
If the K's are breaking up before the E's, changing the ratio of gain on the preamp vs. power amp is not going to change that. You simply need to turn the overall volume down. Preamp breakup will be heard in both speakers (because it's coming from the preamp). Speaker breakup is a different thing altogether and is caused by the signal level sent to the speakers from the power amp.

An interesting thought: Jerry sounded cleaner in the late 70's when he was using K120s that he did in the early to mid 80's when he was using E120s. Then he got cleaner sounding in the early 90's while still using the E120s. I think the "dirtiest" clean sound for Jerry was '83-'85. Very raw. Especially with JGB.
 #104138  by SarnoMusicSolutions
 Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:46 pm
I think that the mid '80s dirty factor was Jerry's sheer drugged wastedness and penchant for extreme, unabashed loudness. I still feel that most of THAT particular dirt or grunge in his clean tone was McIntosh power transistor distortion and the JBL's saturation was secondary. There was some real grungy clean around then, and I think the thing that helps reveal how extremely loud he was comes from the microphonic pickup squealing that you often hear when he kicked on the distortion pedal. There were a ton of shows where there was good guitar feedback, but that high, out-of-control, microphonic squealing comes from the pickups themselves causing microphonic feedback, that squeal you hear between the notes. That's a whole other level of "LOUD".

When he seemed to clean up his tones after the '86 coma, you still hear that nice, sweet, squirty, speaker compression/distortion and warm peaking (ice-pick removal), but less of that all out power amp grunge in the clean tone.


Brad
 #104139  by mijknahs
 Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:57 pm
SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:When he seemed to clean up his tones after the '86 coma, you still hear that nice, sweet, squirty, speaker compression/distortion and warm peaking (ice-pick removal), but less of that all out power amp grunge in the clean tone.


Brad
JGB from around 91 is really clean (example that first double CD of JGB with first track "The Way You Do the Things You Do").

I really dig the grungy '83 JGB tone. Grungier than his GD tone of the same period.

Question for Brad: How would I tell if I'm getting speaker breakup or power amp breakup?
 #104178  by deadagainband76
 Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:14 pm
It has been said that Jerry played much louder with the JGB than with the Dead. Any opinions or info? If so that may explain some of those awesome tones and Brads info as far as the volume being the key ingredient.
 #104180  by mijknahs
 Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:53 pm
deadagainband76 wrote:It has been said that Jerry played much louder with the JGB than with the Dead. Any opinions or info? If so that may explain some of those awesome tones and Brads info as far as the volume being the key ingredient.
Hard to tell. I've heard that Jerry played loud with JGB relative to the mix and the room to the point that Cutler had to turn him way down in the mix but maybe that was the same actual volume he played with the Dead. Different rooms and different bands makes stage volume relative.
 #104181  by waldo041
 Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:51 pm
to my ear, i hear him playing humbuckers more in JGB then in the GD.

peace,
waldo