#100016  by JustinJohn

Got my head cabinet today - made by Mojotone (Link Here)

I'm very impressed with the construction - it's bulletproof! Everything is well fitted, tolex is beautiful, hardware perfect, solid internal bracing, even has that new-car smell!

All in all a really, really tight package. Kudos to Mojotone! (my speaker cab should be here in a week or so - I'll update this then.)

#100473  by JustinJohn

Got my 2x12 speaker cab!

Made by SSP. I couldn't be happier. =)

PICS:
Empty cabinet

Rear view

Loaded!(reconed E120 on bottom)

Wired up

Wooden Front Cover

Front grill cover

Next I'm gonna be drilling the head cab for my Twin Reverb's Head, mounting it all up, mounting the reverb tank, etc.

More as it happens...
 #100503  by JustinJohn

And the finished product!!

First, I pulled out all the tubes (noting all positions) and safely removed the chassis from the old twin cab, along with the reverb tank. Then I turned the empty, old Twin cab upside-down and positioned it exactly squarely on top of the new smaller twin-head cab. I used a level to line it up perfectly on all sides as a jig to drill the new holes to mount the chassis in the new cab. Worked like a charm - surprisingly accurate (lucky?)...

While inverted, I slid the chassis into the new head-cab. The weight is lopsided, wonky, little movements at a time did the trick. Previously I had mounted the reverb tank as far towards the front of the head-cab as I could - there's about a 1" gap between the reverb tank and the 6L6 tubes (will this be a problem?). Of concern was the condition of the reverb tank cables - they are old, almost calcified. I took care to wrap and mount them snugly (but not too snug) out of the way with minimum wiggle room. Sealed it all up finished.

...And the first test run was a smashing success! ...Whew.... The first time having used my new pine 2x12 cabinet - Immediately of note was the change of my guitar tone. There is a distinct improvement in the "presence" of the sound - I have gained back a TON of high-mids and crispness that I didn't even know I was missing. The improvement is drastic.

I finished this project after midnight so I didn't get a chance to really crank it up (neighbors...) - Ill be doing so tomorrow - I'll upload a video!

=)
 #100506  by Tennessee Jedi

Hey Justin
Great project and pics - looks great
Question - does the spring reverb sound the same now that its on its side ? I was wondering about if I ever go your route.
Nice looking rig you have !
:-)
 #100507  by JustinJohn

Heya Jedi!

I don't notice any difference in the sound of the reverb while using it on it's side. With that said, I haven't turned the volume up to my stage volume yet... So if I notice a difference, or anything weird, I'll certainly make note of it here.

=)
 #100509  by Pete B.

Nice Job!
:-)

Hey that Reverb Tank does look close to the Power tubes, but if you are pre-amping this to another Amp, you can remove the Power tubes.
Last edited by Pete B. on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #100511  by tigerstrat

very compact head! It's almost like a DSR in a regular Dual Showman head cab.... splitting the difference , perhaps.
 #100607  by JustinJohn

@ Tennessee Jedi

So I cranked it up pretty good today and yea, the reverb was acting funny. It was feeding back a distinct "G" pitch behind everything I was playing. So I placed the head flat horizontal, and it didn't do it. Just for the sake of trying I put the head vertical on the opposite side of the speaker; lo and behold - it doesn't feed back! So now I'm rockin full stage volume with the head on the left side of the speaker (power indicator light up - same side Jerry's was laying on) and it seems to be fine... So far.

Go figure!
 #100642  by Jon S.

Happiness is an SSP 2X12. Enjoy yours! :smile:

#100650  by PaulJay

Hey Justin, Your playing and rig sounds great. What brand pick-ups are you using?
Thanks ,Paul