#921  by Guest

Anyone know what scale Jerry uses for the solo to this song?
 #984  by Billbbill

It seems to predominantly be in G mixolydian. Or is it mixodorian? Well I play G maj with the flat 7th (F) whatever that is. Straight maj (F#) works also but as usual cohesion is everything. It would be best to start out in G maj pentatonic.

Heavy emphasis on the chord notes for F (F, A, C) and C (C, E, G) when playing over those chords. Chromatics especially transitioning between chords, i.e. from G to C, and from G to F then C back to G.

Jerry would add the flat 3rd (A#) strategically placed to start getting a little nasty. This would sometimes lead to some G minor or G blues pentatonic chromatics. In short Jerry would draw from a broad spectrum of approaches and wittle it into a cohesive, stampeding herd of cattle. I'll try to tab some examples soon.

#2086  by jahozer

That is the chorus solo, but the spacey solo towards the end is F#m.
 #2096  by Kenny

red
Last edited by Kenny on Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#2097  by Billbbill

Hey Kenny,
When I was a little greener with the giter this one was a bit of a puzzle. You could always do the 'G' thing and get through but it never sounded 'right' without really 'spelling out' the F to C back to G transition.

It's just one of the many jams that made me see how much Mr. G paid hommage to chord changes/structures.

Here's one of my favorite versions of this tune. Also an excellent Hey Pocky Way from this show.

http://www.archive.org/download/gd88-07 ... 01_vbr.mp3

#33917  by old man down

Decided to mess with this song with my new Jam Man looper.

I'm coming up with the key of E with modulation to the key of C for the chorus.

However, this may be better stated as:

F# dorian into G mixolydian

You can get very spacey with that E major scale atop the F#m chord.

I guess this is one of those rare dorian jams Garcia does, as stated by Kenny that Garcia rarely employs dorian. (in the Kenny Archive)

#40678  by CommonStranger

verses in E major, chorus and first jam in C major, 2nd jam in E major. click on the envelope filter and add slight overdrive with the first jam (just enough to dirty it up a little, not looking for a lot of boost) Lots of chord soloing incorporated into the scale in the first jam. Don't be afraid to slide in and out of your various C, G and F voicings along the way. Best thing I ever learned about modes is not to limit yourself to the modes. Find your key and move around. From what I've learned, Jerry didn't constrict himself primarily to modes unless a specific part of a specific song called for it. Everything else was free ballin' in the the appropriate key. All the modes connect to one another in the main scale of the appropriate key anyway.