#66034  by Casey0211

This tab hasn't been updated since 1996, so I think it's about time. I don't think the chords are correct. The first few lines of the verse are really just a C-C7-F-F7 progression played like this (I don't know how to do the tab, so I'm going to have to do it the hard way):

1) Make a partial barre with you index finger at the 8th fret, with your middle finger on the 3rd string, 9th fret and your ring finger on the 4th string, 10th fret. You'll recognize that this is a partial "E Form" C chord. Strum this twice.
2) Kept your hand where it is, but lift you ring finger off the 4th string, 10th fret. You now playing a partical C7 chord. Play this twice as well.
3) Now play an "E form" chord, at the 7th fret, only one string up. In other words, your middle finger should be on the 6th string, 8th fret; your ring finger should be on the 5fth string, 8th fret; and your index finger on the fourth string, 7th fret. You'll recognize this as actually the very top of a "C-form" F chord. Play this twice.
4) Leaving your other two fingers where they are, move your ring finger to the 3rd string, 8th fret (you will want to dampen the 5th string, which is now open, with your middle finger, which is fretting the 6th string right above it). Play this twice.

If you know the song, the rhythm of the strumming should be easy to figure. If you want to play the intro, that's easy. With your index finger on the 3rd string, 12th fret and your middle finger on the 1st string, 12th fret. You'll recognize this as "D form" C chord at the 12th fret, without your ring finger on the 2nd string, 13th fret. Slide into the figure, at the 12th fret, and play it twice. Move it down a fret and play it once. Move it down to the 1oth fret and play it again. Then play the chords to the verse. You should be able to fool around with it to get the rest of the intro, or something very close to the record. Don't worry about getting it exactly the same. Garcia didn't.

As for the rest of the verse, I think the tab is correct, although I'd add the G7 and A7 also. For soloing, just play off the major pentatonic scales for each chord, emphasizing the the 7th on the C7 and F7 at the chord change.

Anyway, that's my take on Alligator
 #101898  by ndrewoods

Casey0211 wrote:This tab hasn't been updated since 1996, so I think it's about time. I don't think the guitar chords are correct. The first few lines of the verse are really just a C-C7-F-F7 progression played like this (I don't know how to do the tab, so I'm going to have to do it the hard way):

1) Make a partial barre with you index finger at the 8th fret, with your middle finger on the 3rd string, 9th fret and your ring finger on the 4th string, 10th fret. You'll recognize that this is a partial "E Form" C chord. Strum this twice.
2) Kept your hand where it is, but lift you ring finger off the 4th string, 10th fret. You now playing a partical C7 chord. Play this twice as well.
3) Now play an "E form" chord, at the 7th fret, only one string up. In other words, your middle finger should be on the 6th string, 8th fret; your ring finger should be on the 5fth string, 8th fret; and your index finger on the fourth string, 7th fret. You'll recognize this as actually the very top of a "C-form" F chord. Play this twice.
4) Leaving your other two fingers where they are, move your ring finger to the 3rd string, 8th fret (you will want to dampen the 5th string, which is now open, with your middle finger, which is fretting the 6th string right above it). Play this twice.

If you know the song, the rhythm of the strumming should be easy to figure. If you want to play the intro, that's easy. With your index finger on the 3rd string, 12th fret and your middle finger on the 1st string, 12th fret. You'll recognize this as "D form" C chord at the 12th fret, without your ring finger on the 2nd string, 13th fret. Slide into the figure, at the 12th fret, and play it twice. Move it down a fret and play it once. Move it down to the 1oth fret and play it again. Then play the chords to the verse. You should be able to fool around with it to get the rest of the intro, or something very close to the record. Don't worry about getting it exactly the same. Garcia didn't.

As for the rest of the verse, I think the tab is correct, although I'd add the G7 and A7 also. For soloing, just play off the major pentatonic scales for each chord, emphasizing the the 7th on the C7 and F7 at the chord change.

Anyway, that's my take on Alligator
Wow. That's more of a guitar lesson there bud. But not bad, I checked it and it was quite okay. Quite a good jog there man.
 #125045  by tigerstrat

Now THAT'S spam! Last two posters, actually. Thanks, spammers, for dredging up the old threads, for better or worse.

(edit: the posts I was referring to have been removed, making it look like I am being a dick to Casey, but I don't seem to have the option of deleting this.)
Last edited by tigerstrat on Thu May 09, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #127680  by TI4-1009

People come and go so quickly here!

#127683  by ebick

tigerstrat wrote:Now THAT'S spam! Last two posters, actually. Thanks, spammers, for dredging up the old threads, for better or worse.
Just so folks are clear.....TigerStrat was NOT referring to the two prior posts that you now see (Casey0211 and ndrewoods).....the Spam posts were removed.
 #127698  by TI4-1009

I was thinking more of Casey0211. Drops in out of nowhere in 2009, makes one pretty detailed post about fingerings in Alligator, then "poof". :?:
 #127699  by ebick

TI4-1009 wrote:I was thinking more of Casey0211. Drops in out of nowhere in 2009, makes one pretty detailed post about fingerings in Alligator, then "poof". :?:
I know....I wasn't really referring to your post. When I read your post, and then followed it back, it looked like Casey0211's post was being called spam by TigerStrat.....and it was not.
 #127703  by tigerstrat

I definitely wasn't referring to the on-topic post that now precedes mine. Whatever it was has been removed; it was probably one of those poorly translated pharmaceutical spam-ads.