#39  by grizzbear

My first post :D :lol:
Well let me start off by saying this verion of "dark hollow is pretty dull. Any way to "Jazz" it up a bit? :?
 #149  by microjerry

hey griz.....check out the dark hollow version on reckoning...it's the most spicey version i've heard...and remember, the dead did'nt do the same song exactly the same every time. hope this helps.[/b]

#155  by Gr8flKev

Reckoning is the best version Ive heard of the Dead doing Dark Hollow. Get some old bluegrass records and listen to it, or try playing it in a different key via a capo, say in A.

#207  by Guest

its already in A. My suggestion is to work on runs that lead you to the next chord. Even the most basic progression can sound complex or really 'busy' with the right voicings and fills
 #208  by Gr8flKev

What I meant to say was, capo it into A and play what would be C. The melody is easier to pick and sounds cleaner. Cool song though.

#577  by poppiseed

I do not know about Spicier or Jazzier, but one thing that I would do with this song is use fingerpicking styles. find the melody line and get your fngers movin'....It makes the song very much busier, and if you could keep up with the normal tempo, it is a very good excersize. This is a hard tune to play by-ones-self and keep it interesting, but I would suggest fingerpickin this one if that is the case.

#578  by poppiseed

I do not know about Spicier or Jazzier, but one thing that I would do with this song is use fingerpicking styles. find the melody line and get your fngers movin'....It makes the song very much busier, and if you could keep up with the normal tempo, it is a very good excersize. This is a hard tune to play by-ones-self and keep it interesting, but I would suggest fingerpickin this one if that is the case.

#963  by Deadgrass

Dark Hollow is a traditional song. You may like the bluegrass version more, adifferent feel, but still pickin great.

#1217  by woodyland

Hey now, first post here. Election day 2004! and it took me all of 10 minutes total. Just great timing because when I was done there was a line of 30 people behind me. Anyway....I've just started exploring this song and I have a nice copy from 09/20/70. And for some reason I don't own a copy of "Reckoning"? I will put a handle on that!

Jeff

#1226  by violanojblues

Who does some of the bluegrass versions? Just wondering where to start looking.
 #107013  by tiffcheese

thanks! :cool:
 #136231  by DHM

Zombie thread!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmL7uCEpW0o

David Bromberg....

I have fond memories of sitting in a rock in front of the state ferry terminal in Kodiak, Alaska circa 1977 about 6am in a cold drizzly rain singing this song waiting for the dang ferry that was always 12 hours late.....