#173613  by Slewfoot2000

Hi Gang,

Hope all is well. Does anyone know any techs in the NYC area that could do the type of mods that Bear did to Rick Turner's 1967 Princeton as seen in the description below? Would prefer not to ship, but can if absolutely needed.

I wouldn’t need the bright switch. The added middle switch could be fun, but I don’t feel too strongly if that’s difficult to install. It’s really about having more power with choke for more headroom and less hum plus a bigger speaker.

Anyone know if this has been done since Bear?

Thanks!

“Yes, kind of a legendary amplifier...one of three "Super Bear" Fender Princeton Reverb amps modded by Owsley Stanley for use by Jerry Garcia and other members of the New Riders of the Purple Sage and the Grateful Dead. This one was likely Jerry's rehearsal pedal steel amp. 1967 build...then modded with a beefed up power supply with choke making the amp dead quiet...unless played! Bear added a midrange tone control and a bright switch, basically giving the amp the front end of the reverb channel of a Twin Reverb. Oh, did I mention the JBL D-120F speaker? Reconed, likely by Dennis Wiz Leonard in 1973. Note that NRPS is crossed out, and GD written on the basket. Significantly more sensitive than the original 10" speaker, this speaker is the equivalent of doubling (or more) the power of the amp. Yeah, clean and loud...kind of the ultimate small Jerry tone amp.” - Jim Furman

#173618  by Jon S.

Any tech can easily add a bright switch and mid control, both are basic, simple tone stack mods. Adding a choke seems to me unnecessary for this amp. (Have you ever encountered/heard one with this mod? If no, may I respectfully suggest you do the other easy ones first, see how it sounds afterwards, and make any further mods only if the amp remains lacking in its ability to give you the tones you’re seeking.)
 #173619  by Jon S.

May I add, this is 2022. Need more volume? Mic the amp! Or, when more power/volume/punch is your goal:

- sell the PR and buy a DR;

- sell the DR and buy a VR;

- and so forth.
wleeds liked this
 #173675  by sll

From the picture significant work has been done including the replacement of the rectifier tube with a solid state one, hence the addition of the choke. A new, larger output transformer, probably a Deluxe Reverb one, appears to be mounted on the side of the cabinet. Its possible/probable that the power transformer has also been upgraded. It sounds like this may be the real original Mesa Boogie type amp, without the master volume and conversion to 4x 6L6 tubes.