#173306  by Slewfoot2000

Hi Gang,

Hope all is well! Looking for some recommendations from fellow members. I have a cabinet that holds two vintage JBL E-120's. Looking to get a 2 channel vintage amp head for it that has spring reverb. The easiest answer I imagine would be the Dual Showman Reverb Silverface from the early 70's when they added in the reverb.

But I have a Twin so somewhat inclined to do something non-Fender for diversity...could do a Mesa Boogie Mark III, but those old Mesa's seem to be friggin loud and I really just need it for home use.

Budget is in the up or down of $2K range.

Any thoughts / suggestions on something reliable and simple to use?

Thanks in advance!
 #173310  by Slewfoot2000

strumminsix wrote:Why 2 channel?

Good single channels would be an early Boogie (70s) or Bandmaster reverb.
I like using my A/B switch I had Ios make for me where I can go direct to amp in one channel and through effects in another.
Gr8fulCadi wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:54 am Maybe a Dumble style amp? Ceritone or a used Fuchs ODS would be in that price point. I’m actually looking at the Fuchs myself for a different flavor, yet not too far off the Fender path. Just a thought.
I actually had Andy Fuchs help out with my Twin! I did consider that, but the reverb is digital hence me thinking vintage for the true analog reverb.
 #173316  by strumminsix

Slewfoot2000 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:43 pm
strumminsix wrote:Why 2 channel?

Good single channels would be an early Boogie (70s) or Bandmaster reverb.
I like using my A/B switch I had Ios make for me where I can go direct to amp in one channel and through effects in another.
Only saying this cuz you said you are newer to guitar stuff in another thread...........

So when we think of "modern" amps when folks say 2 channel they think channel switching so the amps come with a footswitch for 2 channels.

For vintage fender style, they have 2 sides and need an AB switcher like you've described.

There are a few ways to get what you like:
1) Fender style with AB/Y
2) Adding a peal bypass pedal on your board

Option #2 will really open up your amp options....
 #173318  by Slewfoot2000

strumminsix wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:17 am
Only saying this cuz you said you are newer to guitar stuff in another thread...........

So when we think of "modern" amps when folks say 2 channel they think channel switching so the amps come with a footswitch for 2 channels.

For vintage fender style, they have 2 sides and need an AB switcher like you've described.

There are a few ways to get what you like:
1) Fender style with AB/Y
2) Adding a peal bypass pedal on your board

Option #2 will really open up your amp options....
Newer to this I am! Will look into the Peal Bypass Pedal. Not familiar with that one. Thanks!
 #173320  by Jon S.

I am not aware that Maven Peal ever built a pedal named "Bypass."

@Strumminsix, when you typed "peal bypass," did you mean "real bypass?"