#169931  by Jeremy_is_a_deadhead

Can someone tell me how increasing the wattage output to a JBL e120 affects the tone? I know that it’s rated for 300 watts!!! That’s....(does division....... slowly.......) .0000247% of the Doc’s 1.21 Gigawatts!!!!! I currently have a single JBL speaker in a Princeton reissue, and I’m pretty happy with it.

I assume there’s a reason people and Jerry, even after the wall of sound, still used Mcintosh.

Does the added power really make the difference?
Thanks!!!

P.S.
First post!!!! What’s up!!! Woot woot
 #169933  by wpmartin1979

Welcome! I’m sure you will get more enlightened answers, but here’s my shot at it: by putting more stress on the speaker you are forcing the speaker work harder thus revealing more of the speaker’s character. I believe the reason Jerry switched to E120 from D120 was because he kept blowing speakers. The E120 could simply handle more and he needed the volume.
It would be the same concept as owning a Lamborghini and only ever driving in 40 MPH. It would still be nice, but if you want to feel the true character of the car come out you would need to get it to 90mph (not safe btw!) :lol:
strumminsix liked this
 #169934  by Jon S.

Welcome to RUKIND. Stick around!

While I own a JBL E120 (a D120 and K120, too - I believe everyone should have at least one of each :biggrin: ), I'm afraid I can't answer your question - at least not from personal experience - because I've never pushed it hard enough to answer it.