#169829  by Jon S.

Well, that's my issue. Since Covid started, I haven't played out (or home at high volumes) and so, for nearly a year, never raised the volume pot on my MC50 above about a quarter (where it's already damn loud!).

When I received my Joyo American Sound (since returned - I didn't care for it), as part of testing it, I cranked up my MC50 and noticed a lot a scratchiness. And also that, at near half on the pot's sweep, the sound cut out entirely.

On the guess that it's probably just oxidation on the wipers (are that what they're called?), I quickly manipulated the pot back and forth a bunch of times and tried again. This helped some but the problems are still there even if to a lesser extent.

What should my next step be? In particular, is there something more I can do without taking the unit apart? Like cop some deoxit and spray the pot from the outside as a first step?

I suppose my next steps would opening up the chassis and spraying it from the inside and, if that fails, replacing the pot (or just ignoring the problem - it's having no significant practical impact on my use of the MC50).
 #169830  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:55 am Well, that's my issue. Since Covid started, I haven't played out (or home at high volumes) and so, for nearly a year, never raised the volume pot on my MC50 above about a quarter (where it's already damn loud!).

When I received my Joyo American Sound (since returned - I didn't care for it), as part of testing it, I cranked up my MC50 and noticed a lot a scratchiness. And also that, at near half on the pot's sweep, the sound cut out entirely.

On the guess that it's probably just oxidation on the wipers (are that what they're called?), I quickly manipulated the pot back and forth a bunch of times and tried again. This helped some but the problems are still there even if to a lesser extent.

What should my next step be? In particular, is there something more I can do without taking the unit apart? Like cop some deoxit and spray the pot from the outside as a first step?

I suppose my next steps would opening up the chassis and spraying it from the inside and, if that fails, replacing the pot (or just ignoring the problem - it's having no significant practical impact on my use of the MC50).
Open it up and spray down the pot with deoxit and turn the pot back and forth a bunch of times. Repeat. Try to spray into any small openings in the pot. Continue to spin the pot. I fixed the scratchy pots on my Carvin HT150 this way. The pots were extremely scratchy and would cut out occasionally as well. I’m pretty sure this is from dust that settles inside the pot. It worked, on my Carvin. Sounds/works great now. I had to do it a number of times, then test it and it progressively got better each time.
Other than that I would guess that you could order a new pot and replace.
 #169831  by TI4-1009

Yup.
 #169832  by Jon S.

Thanks, Pals! :hail:
 #169834  by lbpesq

Mica at Alembic refers to this as “exercising the pots”. 0-10-0-10-0-10 quickly back and forth 40-50 times usually takes care of even the scratchiest pots in my experience. (Unless, of course, you have one of the old Spinal Tap amps. Then it’s 0-11-0-11-0-11). This also works with funky pickup selector switches in guitars.

hehehehe

Bill, tgo
 #169839  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:40 amUnless, of course, you have one of the old Spinal Tap amps. Then it’s 0-11-0-11-0-11.
As you'd say, hehehe. :-o
 #169858  by TI4-1009

When I did the electronics on my Phiga Tiger I sprang for a PEC pot for the volume. It was expensive, but supposed to be high quality upgrade stuff. It's the noisiest pot on the guitar. I think static builds up if it's not used for a while? If I run it back and forth 20 times or so it quiets right down.
 #169874  by Jon S.

I've returned to report that the advice of the RUKIND mavens* worked like a charm. 50 quick "back and forths" and the cutting out is solved completely along with almost all the scratchiness (what does remain is between 3/4 and full on which I've never yet come even close to needing to access even at live outdoor shows).

* https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/maven

lbpesq liked this