#166890  by wleeds

Anyone using a super reverb into 2 x 12?

thoughts?
 #167134  by Gr8fulCadi

I use both, either a 2x12 or 4x10. I prefer the 4x10 as a lot of magic happens with that setup. The key to that video posted above are the speakers obviously but also the settings which give that glassy sound. Bright switch on, volume up say 4-6, treble 7ish and mids cranked up to 8-9 and bass to taste, low though. Strat on the neck/middle pup. This is not a blueprint of settings and doesn’t always work for some. Also have tried the Magic 6 too

http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/magic-six.pdf
 #167135  by caspersvapors

Gr8fulCadi wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:41 pm I use both, either a 2x12 or 4x10. I prefer the 4x10 as a lot of magic happens with that setup. The key to that video posted above are the speakers obviously but also the settings which give that glassy sound. Bright switch on, volume up say 4-6, treble 7ish and mids cranked up to 8-9 and bass to taste, low though. Strat on the neck/middle pup. This is not a blueprint of settings and doesn’t always work for some. Also have tried the Magic 6 too

A lot has to do with the cab config. With the 4x10 you have speakers coupled to the floor as well as elevated. That does something to the EQ. I think if I was going for a 2x12 but also wanted some of that 4x10 magic Id go for an offset 2x12 cabinet, like a low power tweed twin.
 #167136  by lbpesq

Would a vertical 2x12, or two 1x12s stacked vertically accomplish the same result?

Bill, tgo
 #167142  by Jon S.

Gr8fulCadi wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:41 pmI use both, either a 2x12 or 4x10.
Curious if your preferred PI is the stock 12AT7 and also do you prefer a 12AX7 or 5751 in V1? Thanks.
 #167146  by Gr8fulCadi

Jon S. wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:27 am
Gr8fulCadi wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:41 pmI use both, either a 2x12 or 4x10.
Curious if your preferred PI is the stock 12AT7 and also do you prefer a 12AX7 or 5751 in V1? Thanks.
I’ve tried almost every possible tube mod/change and I always revert back to the way Leo intended, whats on the tube chart.
Jon S. liked this
 #167147  by Bigfoot Co.

Gr8fulCadi wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:41 pm I use both, either a 2x12 or 4x10. I prefer the 4x10 as a lot of magic happens with that setup. The key to that video posted above are the speakers obviously but also the settings which give that glassy sound. Bright switch on, volume up say 4-6, treble 7ish and mids cranked up to 8-9 and bass to taste, low though. Strat on the neck/middle pup. This is not a blueprint of settings and doesn’t always work for some. Also have tried the Magic 6 too

Curious what 10" speakers you've liked in your super? I picked up a 66 a month ago and am nursing it back to health. Speakers are the next step.
 #167148  by Gr8fulCadi

Bigfoot Co. wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:46 pm

Curious what 10" speakers you've liked in your super? I picked up a 66 a month ago and am nursing it back to health. Speakers are the next step.
I have Weber’s, two 10A125’s and two 10F150’s and they take anything I throw at them. But, it depends what your after, Speaker breakup or not, clean and loud or inefficient etc. Also, this is not for Jerry tone.
I’ve had these speakers in it since 2008 when I bought it new from Vintage Sound Amps. The original chassis was completely modded by Shakedown 5 yrs ago and is no longer a Super Reverb. BUT,,,, I just built a MojoTone Super Reverb kit and put that back into the original 4x10 cab, A sound I will never get tired of.
 #167149  by Gr8fulCadi

Bigfoot Co. wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:46 pm

Also, congrats on your new Super and best of luck getting her back in action.
 #167156  by Bigfoot Co.

Thank you for your response Gr8fulCadi. I've been intrigued by the idea of mixing alnicos with ceramics for awhile but have never gone there. I think it might be time.

This amp was totally original, spare 2 replaced speakers. So far I've recapped it, added a 3 prong plug, and fixed a faulty connection in the REV/VIB pedal.

The speakers are two original CTS alnicos, and 2 later Fender ceramics. They are all in bad shape, cone tears and holes, bad repairs, missing dust caps, cracked surrounds, etc. Just tired. So that is the next step. I am not trying to Jerry it out, just want to get it back to playable condition.
Gr8fulCadi liked this