#155865  by BJolley

Just acquired a used FYD Twin preamp from forum member Winterland. Appears to be an early version without second output or reverb dwell. I connected it to my MosValve MV 962 and JBL E120 in Baltic birch 1x12 cab and it sounds GREAT. Very Jerry to me. Reverb sounds very useable despite lack of dwell control. Takes Jerry style pedals (Boss OD2, 3Leaf Proton 2.0, MXR Phase 100, Boss OC3, and TC delay) well and is very punchy. Can't wait to gig with it and run it through the paces further. Only downside is that the depth of the box extends just beyond the back of my custom 11.5" deep Baltic birch rack cabinet. Not sure how that compares to the SMS.

Also, Jeff (Winterland) is a good guy and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again).
 #155870  by Jon S.

Adding a dwell control is simple. I added one to my earlier model FYD preamp (the control is on the rear of the amp - well worth the effort).

The SMS (I've got one of those, too) fits readily into a Gator short rack.

#155882  by BJolley

Adding a dwell control is simple. I added one to my earlier model FYD preamp (the control is on the rear of the amp - well worth the effort).
Jon S., nice dual rig setup. Do you find you gravitate to one preamp over the other, or does it change from time to time? As for the dwell control, any chance you could outline the "simple" process or point me in the right direction for instructions? Thanks.
 #155884  by Jon S.

I like both. Truth be known, most of the time for jams, I'm using the SMS preamp into the Carvin power amp because the entire 2 rack unit weighs 17 lbs. if even - so convenient.

For the dwell control, it's an ancient, classic Fender circuit, Google "fender reverb dwell control."
 #155981  by BJolley

I used the FYD/MosValve with the full band at rehearsal last night. Sounded great! Plenty loud and still plenty of headroom. Yay new gear!