#149696  by Atk1

Anyone ever toy around with this combo? I have a MC50 and an SMS and I was considering picking up a Mesa Studio Pre to get some other tones. Just wondering if anyone has any insight?

Thanks
 #149697  by lovetoboogie

The Studio Preamp has an unusually sweet clean channel. Especially so without the GEQ. The lead channel unfortunately, or fortunately depending on the player, is more liquid gain sounding like a Mark III. It is distinctly different from say a Mark I or I IA. But again, the clean channel is excellent, and can dial in some convincing Garcia or Weir tone... and they are virtually indestructible.

I haven't paired it with a Mac but have run it with an old EV 7300 stereo power amp with great results...
 #149698  by tcsned

I've not used a Studio Pre but I have used my Mesa V-Twin rack pre with my MC2100 and I think it kicks. The gain channel sounds better that the clean channel to my ears, the blend between the two is pretty awesome.
 #149701  by TI4-1009

I use my Mesa Lonestar preamp into an MC50 into a JBL K cab. Does "the Jerry thing" for me, plus there's a lot else available in the Lonestar.
 #149702  by mgbills

As stated the clean channel is great. Really sweet with a Mc power amp. When I had mine (and I wish I'd kept it) I played it with an Mc2100. When paired with a nice reverb and a JBL K120 it is tasty indeed. I love Mesa equipment, and for Jerry tone it's get's you very close. The thing I really like is that you get your Jerry on, but can instantly throw some grit and preamp overdrive at the tone and play almost anything else in a semi or non-Dead band. Very versitile pro.

Does it have reverb? Can't remember.
Peace
M
 #149710  by Atk1

mgbills wrote:As stated the clean channel is great. Really sweet with a Mc power amp. When I had mine (and I wish I'd kept it) I played it with an Mc2100. When paired with a nice reverb and a JBL K120 it is tasty indeed. I love Mesa equipment, and for Jerry tone it's get's you very close. The thing I really like is that you get your Jerry on, but can instantly throw some grit and preamp overdrive at the tone and play almost anything else in a semi or non-Dead band. Very versitile pro.

Does it have reverb? Can't remember.
Peace
M

That's what I'm looking for.. Versatility. I have the SMS > MC50 > JBLK120 and I get Jerry tone easily. Also the SMS is about the nicest cleanest tone I could ask for. I was hoping to add some tone variation with the mesa and wondered if it sounded alright via the MC50. I have a separate 1x12 with a Celestion V30 that I thought might mingle well with the Mesa>MC50..

Anyway, just wondered if anyone had any insight. I haven't pulled the trigger on the Mesa Pre yet.. not too pricey but wondered if there was any input nonetheless.
 #149711  by Atk1

Also.. noob question..
Is there a way to switch back and forth between pre's and speaker cabs? An A/B pedal of some sort? All sharing the same power amp? Seems like it might not be possible.

Wondered that as well.
 #149734  by tcsned

I think it will sounds great with the MC50. As to the switching question, it's possible to do some sort of an A/B switch to share a single power amp/cab you just need to be sure whatever switching option you go with can handle a preamp signal. I uses a Boss ABY pedal and it seemed to work well. I went back and forth between a Marshal JMP-1 and my SMS CTP. I only used it a couple of times on stage and it was with a different speaker cab than I use now. I would look at the specs of any switching device to see what the signal strength capacity is.