#167455  by dalilotmane

I have an old chopped up 50's tweed deluxe with a replaced speaker. The only problem is I only like plugging straight into it, it sounds incredible pushed just so and then worked with the volume knob. But I want to play with reverb, and anything between the guitar and the amp just somehow squishes or alters the sound in a way I can't seem to abide. For most gigs I'm fine with just using my Catlinbread Topanga. But for my own personal satisfaction, I would love to utilize the deluxe as part of a larger rig where the deluxe provides a dry analog crunch that could be blended into or with a pure wet clean tone that I could use for a couple effects. Practically, for most gigs, I will just be using my fender amp and a pedal. But for the sake of the exploration, and maybe a special gig, I want to chase the dragon of having effects like reverb, and maybe my MXR phaser and while leaving the dry plugged straight in amp slightly overdriven unmolested. Im new to all of this stuff, so any help fleshing out the concept would be appropriated.
 #167490  by Jon S.

dalilotmane wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:13 pm I have an old chopped up 50's tweed deluxe with a replaced speaker. The only problem is I only like plugging straight into it, it sounds incredible pushed just so and then worked with the volume knob. But I want to play with reverb, and anything between the guitar and the amp just somehow squishes or alters the sound in a way I can't seem to abide. For most gigs I'm fine with just using my Catlinbread Topanga. But for my own personal satisfaction, I would love to utilize the deluxe as part of a larger rig where the deluxe provides a dry analog crunch that could be blended into or with a pure wet clean tone that I could use for a couple effects. Practically, for most gigs, I will just be using my fender amp and a pedal. But for the sake of the exploration, and maybe a special gig, I want to chase the dragon of having effects like reverb, and maybe my MXR phaser and while leaving the dry plugged straight in amp slightly overdriven unmolested. Im new to all of this stuff, so any help fleshing out the concept would be appropriated.
dalilotmane, your lack of responses is less a lack of caring by folks here than a reflection that tweed tone is not Jerry's (were you chasing Neil Young, I'd have something to contribute).
 #167492  by strumminsix

And Jerry tone is dripping in studio reverb.
And most here don't use W/D/W type rigs :)

That said, a tweed (dry) and bf (wet) sound incredible together. I've heard it. And seem to recall SRV using on recordings.

Totally impractical and not Jerry, but you have to ask yourself: do you want to sound like Jerry or play Jerry licks and love your tone?
Jon S. liked this