#174052  by ryanhostetler

ImageHi guys,

My name is Ryan, and I'm building a cheap Indio T-style guitar into a Jerry guitar. I custom designed and built a pickguard and cavity, and I've wired it up to the Wolf schematic, SHH, with two coil splits and an OBEL. It has two Super 2's and an SDS-1. I made a mistake with the Stratoblaster, and I have it removed and bypassed so the system is passive. I plan to put my other one back in later. I'd like to wire it and test the OBEL without the booster, just passive, to make sure that is dialed in, before incorporating the active electronics. Will this normally work, or do you need the booster/buffer for the OBEL to work?

Important to note:

- the pots, coil splits, and the 5-way switch all work well when using just the normal cable to the amp.
-I'm going to use a HubBub
-The TRS dual cable is on its way, so I can't test it for a few days
Last edited by ryanhostetler on Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #174053  by lbpesq

I can’t speak to how you have wired your own guitar, but generally the answer is “yes”, an OBEL works with a passive guitar. Essentially an OBEL guitar is wired like a regular guitar except that it allows you to place the pedal board between the pickups and the volume pot on the guitar. The theory is that your pedals always see the guitar signal at 100%, so it is easier to recreate your sounds from gig to gig. I achieve essentially the same thing by leaving my guitar volume on “10” and placing a volume pedal at the end of my effects chain. Unlike an OBEL guitar, this allows me to use a wireless. (Want to go wireless on an OBEL guitar? You would need three seperate wireless systems!)

Bill, tgo
ryanhostetler liked this