#174017  by Esbuildsguitars

Hi im building a alligator replica so far I have almost everything but I want to know about two things

what pickups should I use

and the rosewood plate?

if anyone had some info that would be amazing
 #174018  by lbpesq

As for pickups, there is some controversy. When I built my first, my research suggested that Alligator sported 1954 Fender pickups which would have been Alnico III magnets. Fender switched to Alnico V in 1955. I wound my own using Alnico III magnets, heavy formvar wire, and 1954 specs, but with a 1955 stagger. The 1954 stagger had a lower G pole as people at that time tended to use wound G strings. I also shielded the inside of the pickup covers and left the strings ungrounded, as on the original Alligator.

I got my tailpiece and wood plate from Robert Rusch, though I had to do some modification to allow for low action. Alligator has very high action, as Jerry preferred, and was incapable of being adjusted for low action until it was recently modified. I made my own brass bridge.

Bill, tgo
 #174019  by Slewfoot2000

I highly recommend the Fralin Real 54 pickups I have in my Strat as seen in the link below...they also allows the poles to be in different spots depending on if you're using a 7.25" radius or something flatter and more custom (I used a 12" on mine).

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/real-54/

I'm sure other pickups are more "Jerry" but I was going for more an old school traditional mid-50's Strat sound (which Alligator, of course, is anyway) and really, really like these. Snappy and clear without being overly bright like so many Strats out there seem to be.