#171511  by augustwest1

Something a little different, and surprisingly fun – I didn’t realize how satisfying it can be to beat a guitar with hammers, screwdrivers, etc. Made one for myself, the other has found a home alongside the real thing.

Made with extra light, swamp ash bodies from Warmoth. 10-16” compound radius necks also from Warmoth. PlanetTone ’56 pups & an RuKind-member-made blaster. Finished with oils (except the front of the peghead, which is sprayed with lacquer because that’s the only way I could truly bury the Fender waterslide decal).

The first couple photos are the replicas, the last photo is one of the replicas next to Jerry’s Alligator.

Jblue76, NeilG1, wabisabied and 4 others liked this
 #171515  by TI4-1009

Wow. You're killin' me Bob!
 #171522  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:45 am how did you deal with the bridge height issue?
I hope not like Procrustes!
 #171525  by TI4-1009

Ha! Even accurate cigarette burns!
 #171531  by augustwest1

Thanks folks!

Re bridge height -- I didn't fabricate the bridge so I just worked with what I received. As you can see from the photo below, you could zero out the action and still have the bridge slightly above the surface of the guitar, but once the "shelf" on the bridge pins were factored in, the bridge would have sat a little too high for anyone who prefers very low action. So after filling in the top route leading to the trem cavity, I recessed the bridge area by about 1/16" so the pins would sit low enough.

Jblue76 liked this
 #171592  by kentuckykind

Where did you locate the footman loop? I haven't been able to locate one that is similar in size to the original.

if you have a link or can supply me with an extra, i would greatly appreciate the help!

Obviously, I am willing to pay if you have one in your parts box.

Thanks
 #171599  by augustwest1

kentuckykind wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:26 am Where did you locate the footman loop? I haven't been able to locate one that is similar in size to the original.
It's the much-too-thick loop available on ebay, modified.
 #171605  by kentuckykind

augustwest1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:09 pm
kentuckykind wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:26 am Where did you locate the footman loop? I haven't been able to locate one that is similar in size to the original.
It's the much-too-thick loop available on ebay, modified.
I was afraid you were going to say that. BTW, great job on the guitar.