#168899  by Jon S.

#168903  by wabisabied

Little hijack, but related: Does anybody here know much about the Kramer DMZ aluminum neck guitars? I see them pop up on local CL now and then, and they are priced much lower than any Bean I’ve ever come across.
 #168905  by lbpesq

Kramer worked for Travis Bean before he went out on his own. There are two major design differences. Where the TB has a full aluminum neck, the Kramer has an aluminum “T” with wood wedges inserted so, looking at the back of the neck, it looks like a wooden neck with an aluminum stripe down the middle. IMHO the Kramers feel nicer. The guy I played with many years ago that played a Travis used to complain that the neck never warmed up - especially on outdoor gigs.

The other major difference is that the Kramer is a regular bolt-on while the TB neck runs 2/3 of the way through the guitar with the pickups and bridge mounted in the same chunk of aluminum that comprises the neck - almost like a neck through.

Another difference is that the Kramers always seemed a little lighter to me. The TBs are boat anchors. I’ve never understood their popularity or the exorbitant prices they now command.

Bill, tgo
 #168908  by OsamaKeefe

Though I've yet to play one I've heard guys get some good tones out them. I see them on Reverb for a decent price.
 #168909  by Jon S.

I've considered copping an aluminum neck Kramer but then I see the weights. My Philtone Tiger is 9 lbs., 3 oz., and my Scarlet Fire Wolf is 8 lbs., 14.5 oz. No way am I going over 10 lbs!
 #168912  by Jon S.

For admittingly superficial reasons (I've never played either one), I'm partial to these two top of the line models:

wabisabied liked this
 #168915  by OsamaKeefe

Fella I follow on the Instagram plays a DMZ 2000, sounds killer through his rig. I’ve seen him on here too but I can’t remember his name.