#168701  by wleeds

Anyone using these?
If so, how did they sound?
Dimarzio has stated they are the single coil version of the dual sound

thx,
 #168704  by Jon S.

Thanks for posting about this PUP. I just visited Dimarzio's web site page on it and could find no mention of the Dual Sound in connection with it. May I ask where specifically you saw Dimarzio's statement that you reference?

https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/hum-ca ... st-track-1
 #168756  by wleeds

i inquired with Dimarzio, a long time ago, asking which single coil size pup came closet to the dual sound and they answered Fast Track 1. I still have one here so ill probably just give it a try. Just though i'd ask around first:)
 #168759  by Jon S.

That’s very interesting, thanks.
 #168766  by lbpesq

I once contacted DiMarzio for some advice. The guy I spoke with told me that he thought Jerry got his tone in spite of the DiMarzio pickups, not due to them!

Bill, tgo
 #168782  by wleeds

lbpesq wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:08 pm I once contacted DiMarzio for some advice. The guy I spoke with told me that he thought Jerry got his tone in spite of the DiMarzio pickups, not due to them!

Bill, tgo
i think so too!
 #168783  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:08 pmI once contacted DiMarzio for some advice. The guy I spoke with told me that he thought Jerry got his tone in spite of the DiMarzio pickups, not due to them!
Can you explain briefly what this means - "Jerry got his tone in spite of the DiMarzio pickups" - as it doesn't make sense to me.

Jerry was meticulous as to everything in his signal chain. I'm sure he chose his DiMarzio's equally meticulously because they flat out worked for him.

My personal experience with the Super Distortion pickup, by the way, is this. I bought my first new c. '76 and still own and use it (it's the bridge PUP in my heavily modded/Jerrified '99 USA Reverend Avenger below).

If anything, it's the name of the pickup that's the misnomer. IMO, the PUP isn't distorted - it's output is quite clear. What it is, is powerful.

The resulting distortion is from the pickup being hot enough to overdrive the amps.

#168784  by TI4-1009

Jon S. wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:56 am
I bought my first new c. '76 and still own and use it (it's the bridge PUP in my heavily modded/Jerrified '99 USA Reverend Avenger below).
Come on Jon, Jerry knew that his pickups "wore out" after a year or two and regularly replaced them. Yours must be flatter than a pancake by now.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jon S. liked this
 #168785  by Jon S.

TI4-1009 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:38 am
Jon S. wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:56 am
I bought my first new c. '76 and still own and use it (it's the bridge PUP in my heavily modded/Jerrified '99 USA Reverend Avenger below).
Come on Jon, Jerry knew that his pickups "wore out" after a year or two and regularly replaced them. Yours must be flatter than a pancake by now.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Busted!! :oops: :lol:
 #168786  by lbpesq

Jon S. wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:56 amCan you explain briefly what this means - "Jerry got his tone in spite of the DiMarzio pickups" - as it doesn't make sense to me.
I told the guy I was looking for a full clean sound, similar to Jerry's. The guy said he never understood how Jerry got the tone he did from the DiMarzios he used. In his opinion, Jerry's tone wasn't something to expect from the DiMarzios. I don't know how else to explain it.

Bill, tgo
Jon S. liked this
 #168787  by TI4-1009

lbpesq wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:43 am
The guy said he never understood how Jerry got the tone he did from the DiMarzios he used. In his opinion, Jerry's tone wasn't something to expect from the DiMarzios. I don't know how else to explain it.
Bill, tgo
"It was all in his hands" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jon S. liked this
 #168788  by mkaufman

lbpesq wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:43 am
Jon S. wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:56 amCan you explain briefly what this means - "Jerry got his tone in spite of the DiMarzio pickups" - as it doesn't make sense to me.
I told the guy I was looking for a full clean sound, similar to Jerry's. The guy said he never understood how Jerry got the tone he did from the DiMarzios he used. In his opinion, Jerry's tone wasn't something to expect from the DiMarzios. I don't know how else to explain it.

Bill, tgo
Maybe the guy has never played thru an amp with lots of headroom.

ace
Jon S. liked this