#168664  by Jblue76

Bob, did you hear or feel any difference between this guitar and a traditional wolf that you’d attribute to the set neck? I am most curious about this. Also, I’m guessing the maple core may have a little more bite and brightness than the purple heart core— is that the case?

Thanks!
Jordan
 #168695  by augustwest1

Jblue76 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:20 am Bob, did you hear or feel any difference between this guitar and a traditional wolf that you’d attribute to the set neck? I am most curious about this. Also, I’m guessing the maple core may have a little more bite and brightness than the purple heart core— is that the case?

Good questions. The carve on the heels of each guitar is a little different, and if you're really focusing on it, I guess they feel a little different in the hand. But both necks meet the body at the same point, so the overall feel of the guitars, the balance, and the access to the higher frets feels identical (to me). I'd say six of one, half dozen of the other.

In terms of tone, I went back and forth between thinking there was maybe some slight difference -- maybe -- and none at all. I did make an "a/b" video of two guitars hoping to make a side-by-side comparison, but I'm afraid the mic in my pocket digital camera isn't really up to the task. Still, if you want to hear it for yourself:

Jblue76, NeilG1 liked this
 #168696  by Jblue76

Ya, I also find it hard to capture or hear any real subtleties on my phone, not that it stops me trying! I’ve always wondered about the subtle harmonic differences with different kinds of necks, the way vibrations transfer and the impact that has on how ‘alive’ an instrument sounds. I guess post covid I’ll have to get together with Neil and do a little A/Bing of my own! Nice playing by the way— love the bendy sort of theme Jerry develops in there.
NeilG1 liked this
 #168712  by Jon S.

Jblue76 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:07 pm Maybe there’s a little more bite in the tone from the maple core
Jblue76 liked this
 #168713  by Jon S.

On a serious note, every time I look at the cocobolo set neck "wolf," I admire it more than the last time. What a beautiful aesthetic.
Jblue76, NeilG1 liked this
 #171210  by augustwest1

Here's another cocobolo set-neck guitar that borrows more heavily from Tiger than the first, and also includes a number unique elements including a wood control cover, an Inuit-inspired brass eagle on the headstock, an inlay of the "other" sticker Jerry put on Wolf (made out of all the woods used on the rest of the guitar), a subtle carve on the top, and the player's signature inlaid at the 24th fret. It's a 3 piece body with chambered wings.

Mostly Tiger hardware. Tiger fretboard inlays and binding under the fretboard. Neck and headstock bound in brass.

A few photos:

NeilG1, wabisabied, Jblue76 liked this
 #171212  by NeilG1

Just gorgeous. Love the headstock inlay and the sticker-turned-inlay.
Gorgeous wood grain. Amazing how different the 3 piece body looks.
And damn- I should have thought of the wood control cover too :)

Outstanding work as usual Bob! The owner must be thrilled
 #171221  by augustwest1

Sorry Neil, I forgot to weigh it before shipping it off.

I can tell you, however, that the wing cutouts (that create the chambers) weighed 1.8 pounds, so that's a pretty significant reduction.

The chambering is also what makes the "seamless" wood control cover possible, so that wasn't an option on your guitar.
NeilG1 liked this