#168595  by Budman

I just heard Eastwood is going to make a jerry's Travis Bean tb500 guitar could it be the cure for beanis envy ? Doubt it no aluminium neck for starters .
 #168596  by Jon S.

URL or it ain't happening. :lol:
 #168604  by Jon S.

Holy crap! I believe, I believe!

Though with a maple neck, a TB replica it ain't.
 #168615  by PLS30820

Jon S. wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:43 am Holy crap! I believe, I believe!

Though with a maple neck, a TB replica it ain't.
I would have put a deposit down today if it had an aluminum neck. I have an eastwood wolf, which i'm pleased with for the price, but isn't the whole thing about the TB's is the aluminum neck????
 #168618  by lbpesq

A Travis Bean copy with Maple instead of an aluminum neck? Maybe it should be played through a Fender Blackface Twin Reverb copy, but with transistors instead of tubes? I wonder it the neck will at least run 3/4 of the way down the body to the bridge? Having the pickups and bridge all mounted to the neck piece was one of the more significant unique features of the TB.

Bill, tgo
 #168645  by playingdead

Once again, you get what you pay for. That is particularly bad, however. A wood neck. They are just cashing in on the Dead's legacy, using cheap labor in China and Korea, and I doubt they are paying a nickel in royalties to any of the original guitar creators.
 #168646  by Jon S.

If there is any builder, of guitars, preamps, amps, effects, or buffers, who has ever paid a nickel in royalties to the original gears' creators for non-copyrighted or non-trademarked designs, I'd like to know who he, she, or they are.

I ask this because, to my knowledge and experience, when an old design or association isn't copyrighted or trademarked, no one in the music industry pays when they copy or base their new gear on it. And if I'm wrong, I'd like to know, which is why I'm asking now (it could play a future role in which builders I prioritize for my own future new gear purchases).

P.S. And I'm not saying this course of events is necessarily a laudable thing, only that I believe it's the reality of the situation and that I personally approach the practice consistently builder-to-builder. (Also, paying royalties differs from paying credit. The builders I know who riff off of Dead designs routinely credit the originals. Though, of course, if they didn't, we wouldn't be having this discussion.)
 #168648  by lbpesq

Jon S. wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:39 am If there is any builder, of guitars, preamps, amps, effects, or buffers, who has ever paid a nickel in royalties to the original gears' creators for non-copyrighted or non-trademarked designs, I'd like to know who he, she, or they are.
Several companies, for example WD Music and BYO Guitar, sell “licensed by Fender” necks and other parts.

Bill, tgo
 #168649  by Jon S.

Bottom line: It's your gear and your money, not anyone else's. Buy what YOU like and can afford, be it the original or a knockoff of a T, S, LP, SG, Wolf, Tiger, dread, or any other style of guitar.

And to repeat:

>> If there is any builder, of guitars, preamps, amps, effects, or buffers, who has ever paid a nickel in royalties to the original gears' creators for non-copyrighted or non-trademarked designs, I'd like to know who he, she, or they are.
 #168650  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:09 am
Jon S. wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:39 am If there is any builder, of guitars, preamps, amps, effects, or buffers, who has ever paid a nickel in royalties to the original gears' creators for non-copyrighted or non-trademarked designs, I'd like to know who he, she, or they are.
Several companies, for example WD Music and BYO Guitar, sell “licensed by Fender” necks and other parts.

Bill, tgo
Excellent point, thanks.

However, the necks differ from the bodies because, to my understanding, Fender's headstock shapes ARE trademarked.

In addition, the license fee include the valuable ability to call your product "official Fender licensed" expressly.

If you don't copy the headstock shape, per Chapin, Suhr, Melancon, etc. (all of which are excellent knockoffs I wouldn't hesitate to buy), you're home free.
 #168747  by jackietreehorn

I'm not a lawyer, but I recall reading it's extremely difficult to trademark a guitar shape. Headstock shapes can be trademarked but the whole guitar is pretty difficult. I know Gibson lost a lawsuit when they tried to trademark the entirety of the Les Paul, because it wasn't unique enough. However, guitar companies have argued that certain shapes are unique and well know to them and can afford to out lawyer smaller guys which is why most people make strat, tele and SG shapes slightly differently than Fender / Gibson. With that said, copyright laws are almost impossible to enforce in China, which is why they have Chibsons.

I believe I also read Doug Irwin's Jerry guitar shapes aren't copyrighted as guitars, which is why there are so many replicas, but they are as images, by the Garcia Estate for the purposes of selling t shirts and what not.

I ask this because, to my knowledge and experience, when an old design or association isn't copyrighted or trademarked, no one in the music industry pays when they copy or base their new gear on it. And if I'm wrong, I'd like to know, which is why I'm asking now (it could play a future role in which builders I prioritize for my own future new gear purchases).

P.S. And I'm not saying this course of events is necessarily a laudable thing, only that I believe it's the reality of the situation and that I personally approach the practice consistently builder-to-builder. (Also, paying royalties differs from paying credit. The builders I know who riff off of Dead designs routinely credit the originals. Though, of course, if they didn't, we wouldn't be having this discussion.)
Jon S. liked this
 #168773  by Jon S.

For kicks, I searched Reverb this morning for "aluminum neck." Turns out there are lots of aftermarket aluminum replacement necks available at what look to be (if the quality is decent) fairly reasonable prices.

Most of the 6-string guitar necks appear to be for F-style bolt on guitars but perhaps there's an option somewhere for a 24 3/4 scale bolt on neck like on the Eastwood model that's the subject of this thread.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=aluminum%20neck